Who ax'd him anyway?

gaugeguy

Captain
As Cos tells it, we ain't learnt nothin' yet<br /> <br /> <br />The Washington Post<br /><br />May 21, 2004<br /><br />Bill Cosby was anything but politically correct in his remarks at a Constitution Hall bash in Washington commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision. To everyone's astonishment, laughter and applause, Cosby mocked everything from urban fashion to black spending and speaking habits.<br /><br />"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said Monday night. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids - $500 sneakers for what?<br /><br />"And they won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' ...<br /><br />"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"<br /><br />When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.

ob

Admiral
Re: Who ax'd him anyway?

Cosby is one of the few old school blacks that tells young black youths how it is instead of reinforcing excuses of why they are oppressed.I admire and commend his viewpoint on the subject.I've heard him speak out on this topic many times.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Cosby is right. Of course, that's why the people with agendas get so mad at him. Sometimes I have to call my daughter, who teaches LD children in a minority school, to interpret what some college athlete has just said on TV. BTW, she insists that her students use regular English in class, but it's a losing battle according to her when it's not reinforced away from school.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes sir.. Cosby is'nt afraid to tell it like it is...

11 footer

Lieutenant

Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American,
Thats right, we have rented to many black american familys over the years and not one of them has been on welfair.<br /><br />All the familys who have rented from us who where on welfair have been spanish or domican, no blacks.

SCO

Lieutenant

I'm not trying to disagree, but that could be a misleading statistic. Black Americans are a definite minority. The statistic should be based on the percentage of the group that is on welfare to be meaningful. Otherwise, it just looks like a manipulation of the data and our opinions. First heard it said years ago that most welfare recips were white. True, but at the time whites were 70+ percent of the population. <br />WRT B. Cosby, he's a leader that's trying to help his people move forward.