Who Are The 5 Star Boat Trailer Manufacturers??

macsfriended

Seaman
I intend to sell my 17? Whaler next spring/summer and feel its 1980 trailer is its weak link (30+ years old, much surface rust, unknown hidden rust induced weaknesses, etc.) As I read various iboat posts, I?m leaning towards putting a new steel trailer under it for that sale to be sure that the buyer won?t have trailer issues (and I avoid tedious refurbishment labor.)

Leaning towards a quality steel trailer having C frame construction; maybe, galvanized steel.

Seem like various web reports unsatisfactory items with many manufacturers. Google found manufacturers directories but few quality ratings by owners.

So, who are the 5 Star, high quality manufacturers of such boat trailers???

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who Are The 5 Star Boat Trailer Manufacturers??

Well, Load Rite is in there for sure. Galvanized...

Chuunthor

Cadet

Another +1 for Load Rite. Their galvanized trailers are excellent quality. Even the aluminum i-beam 5-Starr series isn't bad either. Bit more flex, but a solid trailer.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Check into a Heritage. I've got one under my Baja that seems to be very high quality.

macsfriended

Seaman

OPPS. In my ignorance, I did not realize there was a manufacturer named "fivestar." I was not asking about that brand.

Rather, I used the term "5 Star" to seek very high quality, above the ordinary, very well designed, optimal material selection, construction, and quality control.

Sorry about leading some of the responders astray.

Ed

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've owned 3 Loadrite tandem trailers and have never had a problem with any of them.

Is there any particular reason why you want C-channel trailer?

By far, the best structural element for a trailer is a box section. A box section provides the best vertical and lateral support while minimizing the overall weight of the trailer.

Why do they used shapes on aluminum and painted trailers?

They use c-shapes because there is no other choice. With the aluminum trailer, they do not make ?commercial quality? aluminum box tubing large enough for the job. Even if they did, the cost would be prohibitive. With the painted trailers, they use a c-channel because they cannot paint the inside of the tubing.

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Baker Trailers used to be really nice, but they are unfortunately out of business.

C-channel would be my preference over box tube as the water drains out easily. When was the last time you saw something like this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367302&highlight=mastercraft+trailer+rust on a c-channel trailer?

Not saying that this is typical of a box tube trailer, and not trying to knock the manufacturer at all. Just saying that trapped water is the devil.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Baker Trailers used to be really nice, but they are unfortunately out of business.

C-channel would be my preference over box tube as the water drains out easily. When was the last time you saw something like this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367302&highlight=mastercraft+trailer+rust on a c-channel trailer?

Not saying that this is typical of a box tube trailer, and not trying to knock the manufacturer at all. Just saying that trapped water is the devil.

That is not a problem with the box tubing. That's called a pi$$ poor designed trailer.

A quality tube trailer will be galvanized inside and out and both ends of the tubing will be completely open. You will also not find a single weld on a quality, galvanized trailer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I also have an old Load Rite galvanized trailer used in salt and the basic frame has held up well...the things that can make a difference are the quality of the fasteners and the brakes used...cheaper trailers will have zinc plated ubolts instead of galvanized which may not last as long and drum brakes instead of the better quality discs. Load Rite also sells a line of less expensive trailers called 5 Starr and they are similar in terms of the frames but they come with drum brakes, regular lights instead of LED...probably some other differences as well...

Bifflefan

Commander

I guess I'll be the first to break stride and say E-Z Loader is what I have and they are very nice.
Boxed frame's (stronger than C), galvanized if you like. I dont know why, We dont have a lot of salt water in MI, or MO for that matter.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have to give a nod to Shorelandr. I own 2, roller style. Just get the bow between the rollers and it aligns itself when loading.

cribber

Lieutenant

I gotta say I like my E-Z Loader aluminium single axle. Only issue I had was I waited a little too long to readjust the surge brakes after the 1st 100 or so miles and they started to chatter. Otherwise I hardly notice it back there towing or when braking. Also it tracks very well behind my Pacifica even through the roadworks on a set of S curves near my house.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

For my money I think some of the best trailers around are built by Road-Runner trailers here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. They are used by the coastguard, navy, RCMP and most of the pros. in this area. Fully welded, galvanized, simple, bullet proof and reasonably priced.

http://www.roadrunnerltd.com/

kilowatts

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My vote is for Roadrunner,mine is 6 years old,all salt water and going strong, just as good as an Easy loader and about 25% less to buy

richardgreen

Seaman

Up here in the land of 10K lakes it seems that Shorelandr is king.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Another +1 for Load Rite. Their galvanized trailers are excellent quality. Even the aluminum i-beam 5-Starr series isn't bad either. Bit more flex, but a solid trailer.

Five Starr is a cheaper model from Load Rite, only they make them at a Five Starr Plant. My last boat had a Load Rite and the one I have now is a Five Starr. They both sound the same going down the road.

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:D:D Easy Loader, Shorelander, Load Rite In that order. It might be differant back east . I am posting from CA.:):)LDJ

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

There are actually many fine trailer manufacturers out there, some just have a bigger following than others due to geographic location.

I have seen people buy a trailer based on it just looking cool......bad idea.

We have a 1977 Dilly that still looks and functions like brand new, and I also have a 1985 Spartan that if I cut it up this spring I wouldn't trust to use the framework to build a mailbox.

Karavan also makes some nice units, however don't buy one from a Marina, as they will sell you the cheapest model they have because they make a higher profit on it. Call the manufacturer direct and tell them exactly what you need.

EZ Loader and Shorelander have nice units but I don't care for their roller units, but really enjoy their bunk trailers.