White smoke & Marine Oil

BrandonD

Cadet
Couple of questions. I just "woke" my engine after sleeping for pert near 8 months. I siphoned out all of the gas and put new gas in it.. I have a 1985 mariner 175hp with automatic oil injection. Anyway, the engine starts no problem now and idles real well with the muffs, but it just billows out white smoke non stop. The kind of smoke that lingers for a long period of time.

So my questions are what is that white smoke? Is it just burning out he gunk that was built up in the carbs and else where?

Or could it be the oil? which leads to my second question.. how long is marine oil good for if it just sits for say 8 months =)

thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: White smoke & Marine Oil

What do the plugs look like?

If they're oily, it's oil.
If they're really clean, it's water, and you got trouble.

Oil should keep a long time, unless it gets a little water in it, and then it'll sludge up and plug your fuel filter.

hope it helps
John

BrandonD

Cadet

Thanks John,

It does appear I'm getting water in at least one of my cylinders. I have a v6 and on the right side the top cylinder plug was very clean and even had water under the plug when i pulled it off.. the bottom 2 on that side had oil, but were a little cleaner than all the plugs on the left side of the v6.

So looks like I have trouble. What would cause this? busted gaskets?

I do have the manual on this motor so maybe I can figure out what it is and fix this myself. Or is this a severe enough problem that I should let a "pro" work on it?

BrandonD

Cadet

UPDATE

the cylinder head gasket was very badly corroded. So that is probably my problem. I only idled it for maybe 20 minutes total so hopefully no other damage was done..

But to be sure what all should I check after I replace the gaskets and before I turn it back one?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Replace the thermostat as it's possible it stuck closed during its nap.

redfury

Commander

UPDATE

the cylinder head gasket was very badly corroded. So that is probably my problem. I only idled it for maybe 20 minutes total so hopefully no other damage was done..

But to be sure what all should I check after I replace the gaskets and before I turn it back one?

Thanks
I'd replace both head gaskets if one is corroded. No point in risking the other one being good as long as you are getting that far into it. Make sure that you oil the cylinder that was getting water in it from the bad head gasket, turn the engine over a few times without running it, and check compression to see if you did any damage. It's probably unlikely, but better to check at home than find out on the lake. Does this motor see salt water?

j_martin

Admiral

I'd replace both head gaskets if one is corroded. No point in risking the other one being good as long as you are getting that far into it. Make sure that you oil the cylinder that was getting water in it from the bad head gasket, turn the engine over a few times without running it, and check compression to see if you did any damage. It's probably unlikely, but better to check at home than find out on the lake. Does this motor see salt water?

I'd pull the exhaust chest cover while you're at it, and check the divider for cracks . Clean it up and replace the gaskets and divider seal, which will probably either be entirely missing or come out as chunks of garbage.

Head gaskets, exhaust chest cleanup, and you should be good to go.

hope it helps
John

BrandonD

Cadet

Thanks all,

This motor does not see salt water.

As far as the gaskets, where can I get these for an older engine? I assume parts on a 1985 mariner are quite a bit different than the newer mercury. Also do I have to put the gasket on with some sort of sealant? Or just replace the gasket as it is and tighten the nuts real tight.

Thanks!

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks all,

This motor does not see salt water.

As far as the gaskets, where can I get these for an older engine? I assume parts on a 1985 mariner are quite a bit different than the newer mercury. Also do I have to put the gasket on with some sort of sealant? Or just replace the gasket as it is and tighten the nuts real tight.

Thanks!

Actually, the 2.0, 2.4, and 2.5 liter merc v6's haven't changed much. Parts are readily available.

I'd go genuine mercury on the gaskets. Get a factory service manual for any sealant recommendation. I don't think anything is used except perhaps a touch of something to keep the seal in the bottom of the exhaust chest till the divider is installed.

The only thing I wouldn't do by the book is torque, then twist the head bolts. That's for new bolts in a new block. You will get into trouble by stretching the bolts again. Just torque to 35 foot lbs. Be sure the threads are clean and lubricated.

hope it helps
John