White Deposit Around Spark Plug

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I was out yesterday, I noticed the port motor missing a little. When I got back to shore, flushing the engines I took of the cowling. I noticed some white crusty looking stuff around 3 of the 4 plugs. I started checking the wires to see if they were tight/ all the way on. Starting from the bottom, I got to #1 and it zapped me. So now I am wondering, should I go for new wires and plugs, or could the plugs be causing this, or that white stuff? The wires look good (I know doesn't say much) and other than the the white stuff everthing is normal. Any suggestions as to the cause or fix would be appreciated.

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: White Deposit Around Spark Plug

The white stuff around the plugs sound like salt water deposits that dried up.<br />Take the plugs out of the motor and see what they look like.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Springhead, That's kinda what I figured it was, just curious how it got there. I am planning on taking a closer look at the plugs Sat. Hopefully they will be ok, and I can still go on the trip planned for Sunday, with friends coming into town it would be a shame for the boat to be down.

Water is getting into your engine area somehow. I noticed the same thing on my O/B. It ended up being part #30 on this link. Also this part was causing my motor to stall while at idle or slow troll. <br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...g&inbr=1470&bnbr=220&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING <br /><br />Make sure yours is in good condition and or seated in the proper place. Also check out part #27. It is the rubber boot that goes from the powerhead to the pee-holes. It could have a small hole or holes in it causing to leak water while it's trying to spit the water out the pee-holes. Or maybe it is not seated properly??<br /><br />I'm not an expert in anyway and I may be way off. These are just suggestions! - Mike

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: Checked out the plugs, not too bad, but changed them anyway. went with NGK BUHW. (read somewhere they work better than the BUHX and UL18V) On the way out to fishing it ran well. After that, back to missing.<br /><br />I've figure out it needs plug wires, as they look to be O.E. But are the wires glued in to the coils or do they screw in like other manuf. motors? I still haven't gotten around to looking for them but from what I've seen premade ones aren't available and I will have to make them myself. Can anyone verify this? Thank you.