whining noise

billbro68

Cadet
Got a 1978 Marquis 23ft cuddy a few weeks ago (anybody ever heard of it?} with a 305 Chev I/O. It runs great, had new hoses, belts, bellows, water pump, etc installed and am happy with performance. However,I can't hear any one talking when underway because of a whining noise. When starting there's a metallic sound/noise and after starting it has a whining/siren type noise that irritating as hell.The faster I go the louder. I remember bout 50 years ago having bent a bell housing on an old car and the flywheel touched it and it made a similar noise. Could something like that happen in a boat? Starter, some bearing, any ideas? The shops don't want to commit to an idea, just say bring it in and we'll look for the problem[at 60 bucks an hour. If I knew the problem to suggest to them, might might save a buck. Thanks Guys, Bill in TN

ron7000

Banned
Re: whining noise

if its a mercruiser, my first guess would be to check and or replace the gimbal bearing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To tell you the truth, your shop is right. All the guessing we can do on a forum means nothing as we can't hear the noise. Heck, we don't even know if you have a Volvo, Mercruiser or an OMC, let alone the possibilities.<br />Could be a starter stuck engaged in the flywheel, gimbal bearing, intermediate bearings, u-joints, the drive itself, flex plate,alternator, power steering pump, you name it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayah...............<br />Knowing What/Who's Drive would be a Major Help........<br /><br />I'll venture a Guess..........<br />It's Not the Flywheel Rubbing on the Cover........

Bondo

Staff member

Pull the Drive,+ Test run Just the Motor............<br />Atleast Then,... You'll Know which end to tear apart......