Which winch?

hazmat5760

Seaman
I'm wondering what winch rating I need. 22 foot Stingray, 3,400 pounds loaded.

New to boats and the trailer didn't come with a winch. Thanks.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which winch?

If you already know what the boat and stuff in it weighs then get one rated for at least that. I wen't bigger than I had to on my boat with a better gear reduction making it easier to winch in.

hazmat5760

Seaman

Ok. I wasn't sure if there was some mathmatical magic equation to which you only needed a winch capable of X% of Y due to the reduction of friction from Z. :D

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe someone else will chime in on something specific they recomend, but I went from like a 2500lbs winch up to a 3500lb(I think) winch. It had a better gear reduction on it. It takes more turns than my old one to get the boat up, but it is much easier. Some winches even have duel gear reduce so you can crank it up as far as you can fast and then switch to the easy gears to crank it the rest of the way when it starts to get harder.

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

I think the winch ratings are based on dead lift weight, which is nowhere near pulling a boat over rollers. My grady is 3500lbs, outboard is like 5-600 hundred, and winch is only 2000 lbs. Works just fine.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get one that has dual gear reduction. You will find yourself someday at a very step ramp where you cant get your trailer in as deep as you like. It will be all about gear reduction and how strong your wife's arm is. My boat loaded is 7,500lbs and I had a 4,000lb hand winch on my trailer and can you belive it? She still complained.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You're just trying to drag the boat up the trailer,...
Not Dead Lift it....

A 1000lb. winch is Plenty...

NHGuy

Captain

Get one that has dual gear reduction. You will find yourself someday at a very step ramp where you cant get your trailer in as deep as you like. It will be all about gear reduction and how strong your wife's arm is. My boat loaded is 7,500lbs and I had a 4,000lb hand winch on my trailer and can you belive it? She still complained.

You think your have trouble. I ask my wife what she wants to make for lunch and she answers "reservations"!