which VRO pump do I have?

jjboor

Seaman
I read a post that said that the late '80 and early '90 vro runs @ 1:100 @ idle. And that Evinrude changed this back to 1:50 on their later models.<br /><br />now I have '88 120HP 'Rude(BE120TLCCA, G1738847) And I found these numbers on the back of the pump(the part that looks like a flat horn) 174619 MX and 11 EN this is engraved in the alu/steel.<br /><br />And then there is in ink on top of the plastic part were the oil enters the system: 1238.<br /><br />Now is this pump a good one or should I update. :confused: the engine runs great. But I'd like to keep it that way... THX for your time.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: which VRO pump do I have?

Dutch....how many wires does it have coming from it? If it's four, you should be OK.

jjboor

Seaman

Uhmmm. It has three wires coming from it... a grey one a black one and a pinkish one...<br /><br />Does that mean I'm not OK? oh, oh!<br />I really tried looking for more wires but these are all going to the same spot on the VRO "side" of the pump. closest wire after that is the two wires leading next to the red manual choke lever... <br /><br />thanks for the lightning reply BTW! :) Do you make sure you guys get enough sleep? no matter what time here in Holland I get an instant reply, NOT that I'm complaining or anything...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Read about the VRO and it's changes in the FAQ section, item F. "More about VRO"

jjboor

Seaman

Printing it out as I write this. Going to sit down with this one...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Dutch1<br /> its time to buy the update kit. the oil pump does not live forever it wears out like any other part. you will need the pump and the wiring update kit.

jjboor

Seaman

ARGGGHH! O.K. I printed the more on VRO FAQ good story... But it gives me some more questions<br />"the prior to 1990 pumps are recognized by the brown fuel outlet fitting" well that's me. on top of the pump there is a brown connector between the pump and "mixed"fuel line. no?<br /><br />Then: "if your motor is older then 1993 make sure it has a blue coloured pulse limiter to protect...in the pump." Where do I find the pulse limiter?<br /><br />then: "Follow the pulse line from the VRO to the engine block(this is a fuel like hose going from the bottom of the vro to the bottom of the engine?) and look for a hex shaped fitting threaded into the crankcase. If it has a black face on it replace it with a blue style (part#435009)" A hex shaped fitting: is like the connector between the engine block and the pump shaped like a bolt?<br /><br />I guess I will have to update after reading this, but I'm trying to find out just how much needs to be done. And if I wouldn't be better of just getting the new pump. Part #5004559 for my motor no? If the total pump is not way 2 expensive...<br />ok hope ya'll find some time for me!

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Dutch1:<br /> I guess I will have to update after reading this, but I'm trying to find out just how much needs to be done. And if I wouldn't be better of just getting the new pump. Part #5004559 for my motor no? If the total pump is not way 2 expensive...<br />ok hope ya'll find some time for me!
Your dealer should have a complete kit for upgrading to the later style VRO. It should include the fittings you need as well as instructions for proper installation.<br />The list price for mine was around $265 dollars. Not cheap, but cheaper than a motor. There is quite a bit of information on how to disconnect the VRO and use gas/oil mix if you don't want to spend the $260.<br />Actually, I ran my old 1984 VRO pump until this year when the fuel pump side failed. The oil pump was still working fine.

jjboor

Seaman

OK. just checked, pump is going for 500U$ here in Holland. That would be a last resort option then... Can't find the updates here? Are the pump and updates available through internet? And what updates should I get? any adresses out there?<br /><br />My engine is running fine and I know vro is a good system otherwise I wouldn't have bought the motor. But as I said I want to make sure it stays that way. All the help is ofcourse greatly appreciated. JJ

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the FAQ's forum. You will find lots of information about the VRO system there.<br />I kept my VRO for two reasons.<br />1. I don't think it was as bad as represented. IMO, it got blamed for a lot of problems that it had nothing to do with.<br />2. Because of the number of different users of my boat, I don't feel comfortable trusting them to mix the oil and gas correctly. They aren't going to go through a full tank of oil that I can keep filled. If they run out of gas, they can paddle. :)

jjboor

Seaman

LOL good idea on the paddle.<br /><br />I've got the FAQ's printed on my desk here, all of them... But they don't tell me where I can find the updates here in Holland. My Evinrude dealer says he can only get the updated pump. 500U$ so I'm looking for the update... does this have a part number like the pump?

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Dutch1:<br /> LOL good idea on the paddle.<br /><br />I've got the FAQ's printed on my desk here, all of them... But they don't tell me where I can find the updates here in Holland. My Evinrude dealer says he can only get the updated pump. 500U$ so I'm looking for the update... does this have a part number like the pump?
If I understand your question correctly, the "update" would consist of a complete new pump. I don't think your pump is rebuildable. If you want to retain the VRO and don't want to rely on your old pump, I think your only choice is to spend the big bucks. That's where the VRO disconnect comes in and one reason it is popular. A new fuel pump only is at least $100 less. If your old fuel pump is still working, you really don't need to buy anything extra to remove the VRO. You will have to premix your fuel, though.

jjboor

Seaman

OK let's get this clear the upgrade kit as CharlesW and rodbolt discus, is as I understood it a kit with parts to update my old vro pump to a newer one included with the "needed" four wires.<br /><br />The other option is to get a complete new pump. Which I found out is very expensive here 500U$<br /><br />So I'm trying to find out which kit I need and is available and if I can get that shipped from the states to Holland.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Dutch1:<br /> (1.) OK let's get this clear the upgrade kit as CharlesW and rodbolt discus, is as I understood it a kit with parts to update my old vro pump to a newer one included with the "needed" four wires.<br /><br />(2.) The other option is to get a complete new pump. Which I found out is very expensive here 500U$<br /><br />(3.) So I'm trying to find out which kit I need and is available and if I can get that shipped from the states to Holland.
(1.) No. The upgrade kit consists of a new pump amd the parts required to replace the earlier style pump you evidently now have.<br /><br />(2.) Your options are; <br /><br />a. Keep your old pump as it is since it still seems to be working.<br /><br />b. Keep your old pump, disconnect the VRO and use only the fuel pump side of the old pump. This will require premixing your fuel.<br /><br />c. Buy the replacement pump for lots of money.<br /><br />(3.) While I don't know, it would seem likely that there is an internet source for whatever parts you need. How expensive it will be to have the parts shipped or any duty that might be charged is something you might want to consider.

D

DJ

If someone could identify the upddate kit PART NUMBER, Dutch may be able to find a source that can ship internationally.<br /><br />I do not have access to the parts books. I know some of you guys do.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Dutch,<br /><br />Check ebay for a new VRO pump. I replaced my 1986 pump with a brand new one purchased on ebay this spring. My old one was working fine, but its age was making me nervous. I guess I spent about $250 Can. for peace of mind!<br /><br />I think I paid about $170 US plus $10 for shipping to Canada. You may have to wait a while for one to appear in an auction, but they do show up from time to time. You can set up a search on ebay to email you when one becomes available.<br /><br />If the seller advises "Will ship only to U.S.", just send them an email inquiring if they are willing to send internationally. Most are as long as you are willing to pay the entire shipping cost.<br /><br />Good luck.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

New part number is 5004559. Bout' $270 American.

D

DJ

Dutch,<br /><br />There you go. Thanks OBJ!<br /><br />Happy hunting!

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Whoops! Guess I was a little late with the update.<br /><br />Oh well, at least it was the right number!<br /><br />Cheers.