Which trolling/kicker motor Petrol or Electric?

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a major dilemma ;) <br /><br />I want to buy a kicker/trolling motor for my 14' boat. I'm running a Mercury 25hp as a main but am wondering whether I should buy an electric or petrol kicker.<br /><br />Now the Minn Kota Endura:-<br /><br />Will cost me minimum $300 to buy motor,battery, battery charger.<br />It'll be used mostly in saltwater.<br />Have to have a battery (other motor is a pull start).<br /><br />Evinrude 3hp<br /><br />It'll cost me maximum $100 to buy the motor and service it properly.<br />Not dependent on checking that the battery is full, always got petrol for the other motor and reserves.<br />Can use it safely in both saltwater and fresh.<br /><br />Which should I get and why? It's going to used primerly for trolling.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which trolling/kicker motor Petrol or Electric?

the MinnKota you can bow mount, the rude is transom mount. will the boat take the extra weight of the rude. do you have clearance for the 25 to be centered and the 3hp beside it, and still be able to steer. electric runs quiet, 3hp is noisy. now it's your choice. good luck

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

25 hp isn't that big. Load it up with Sea Foam in the gas and troll with the 25. Saves a bunch on weight, complexity, and cost.<br /><br />Mark

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor will be transom mounted. Unfortunately there is very little space beside the main motor so the kicker would either have to be mounted on a kicker plate or the main motor moved aside a bit (if this is advisable?).<br /><br />I have not yet found seafoam in Norway, but tommorrow I shall be visiting the motor repair places to see if they stock it or an equivalent.<br /><br />Would would the fuel savings be on a 3hp trolling VS a 25hp trolling? I normally troll for about 5 hrs each trip.<br /><br />Not too bothered about the noise of a petrol outboard either.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Wouldn't any fuel savings be offset by the added cost of the petrol or electric motor? The best combination would obviously be the 3 HP kicker if thats what you wish to do. If you go electric, a bow mounted motor allows far better boat control than a stern mounted motor, especially in windy conditions. A MinnKota Power Drive allows is operation from anywhere in the boat. MotorGuide makes similar models. Weight and complexity in your small boat makes the kicker a better choice.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

How many people use an electric "trolling" motor for actual trolling? It's very rare in these parts - they're mostly just for positioning the boat while fishing. I use my 70 for trolling instead of the electric (don't troll much).<br />You're going to need a big bank of batteries to troll for 5 hours, the 3hp ought to do it on a few gallons.<br /><br />Assuming the 25hp isn't overpowering for your boat, you can run it off center - it'll be inconvenient, wont' track straight, might handle a little funny, won't hurt anything though.<br /><br />just my 2¢

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is rated for a maximum of 35hp, so the 25hp is well within that.<br /><br />I could try it I suppose.

cant mount the three horse next to your 25 for when you want to troll and then just take it off when your done

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> How many people use an electric "trolling" motor for actual trolling? It's very rare in these parts - they're mostly just for positioning the boat while fishing. I use my 70 for trolling instead of the electric (don't troll much).<br />You're going to need a big bank of batteries to troll for 5 hours, the 3hp ought to do it on a few gallons.<br /><br />Assuming the 25hp isn't overpowering for your boat, you can run it off center - it'll be inconvenient, wont' track straight, might handle a little funny, won't hurt anything though.<br /><br />just my 2¢
You can troll all day and then some on a good battery in that size boat. Personally I like using the gas engine as that's what I have. I know many folks that use the electric trolling motor(why do you think they call them "trolling motors"). As long as you already have the fuel on board and not a battery I would certainly go for the small hp gas kicker. Chief

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Chief 100:<br /> ...I know many folks that use the electric trolling motor(why do you think they call them "trolling motors")...
I have always wondered about that! :) <br /><br />I believe ya, chief, but I think I'm misunderstanding something here - a 12 volt trolling motor will draw what, about 25 amps or more? A battery with an amp-hour rating of 100 won't last nearly five hours if you discharge it at 20 amps continuous - and if it would, you'd be discharging it to 0% - seriously shorten its life. Two 100 AH batteries might do it, though.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I cant even imagine using an electric for actually trolling but i guess it is do-able. When I had my 14' with a 29 lb electric, it would push it at about 2.5 mph - but whose to say how accurate that is. however, it never 'seemed' fast enough for a troll. Besides, even though 29 lbs thrust was plenty for that boat, a good battery would only last 2 hrs max. I troll with my 90hp 4-stroke now - i use a drift sock if not trolling for musky. No way my 50lb electric would push 17' DC fast enough. I would go with the suggestion on using your 25 hp to troll. You can at least try trolling with the electric and see how long the battery lasts. Maybe even charge it with the motor. Do you wish exclusively in open water? Or would an electric be useful at other applications like casting a shoreline? Personnaly, I find an electric indespensible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you want to troll at 1 MPH for crappies you won't do that with a big gas engine. This type of trolling is more like a powered-drift. My 55PD will do that for five hours or more no problem on a single battery. If you troll at 3 MPH or more you best use a gas engine.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'll just stick with my 25hp. It gets me down to more than slow enough trolling speeds and will save me having to buy another motor and trying to fit that next to my 25 or fit a mounting plate (extra expense).<br /><br />Thanks for all your advice......Wiggy

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think that is a good move. spend the savings on petrol, and beer.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />
Originally posted by Chief 100:<br /> ...I know many folks that use the electric trolling motor(why do you think they call them "trolling motors")...
I have always wondered about that! :) <br /><br />I believe ya, chief, but I think I'm misunderstanding something here - a 12 volt trolling motor will draw what, about 25 amps or more? A battery with an amp-hour rating of 100 won't last nearly five hours if you discharge it at 20 amps continuous - and if it would, you'd be discharging it to 0% - seriously shorten its life. Two 100 AH batteries might do it, though.
I guarantee you that the 12 volt trolling motors folks around here have don't use continuous 25 amps, that's prolly just a starting amperage. I've never done the math but but I think most these boats of which I speak can go 10-12hrs on a battery before charging. I'm always amazed at how much trolling time they get, tho I still use the gas kicker. Chief

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Exactly- I am currently using a Minn Kota 55PD 12 volt system. I can go 8-12 hours on 1 AGM battery before a recharge. If slow trolling, I have much better control from the bow. If you want to fast troll, the electric is probably not the way to go. I troll an average of 1.2 mph- 1.6 mph. Where I live, trolling motors are the standard.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Smart man Wiggy on staying with the 25. It is so much simpler and less stuff to clutter up your boat and keep up with and all. You probably wouldn't notice the difference if fuel as the 25 would be just loafing and the 3 running out pretty hard....plus the added weight....and then which are you going to steer with and what are you going to do when the other motor gets in way of the tiller handle, and will you be able to reach over and tilt the 3 up when you want to run.....and on and on.<br /><br />Sea Foam is sold world wide as I recall. Go to their site and check it out. There are other solvents out there, but I have learned from experience, after listening to this board, that Sea Foam does work. Anything else would have to have to go through a trial and error process.<br /><br />Butttttt if you can't buy it, read it's qualities (off their site) and go to your local supplier of lubricants and find something that claims to do the same things on 2 cycle engines.<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />One more thing. There was a comment about bow mounting vs stern mounting. Bow mounting something pulls the boat and obviously stern mounting pushes it. Doesn't take but a heartbeat to figure out that if you are pulling the boat it is much more manueverable than trying to push it....especially turning into a wind or with a cross wind.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

check your merc manual (or over in the merc repair forum) - there may be an alternative spark plug and/or gap setting for extended slow speed ops

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> check your merc manual (or over in the merc repair forum) - there may be an alternative spark plug and/or gap setting for extended slow speed ops
Not with these motors. They use the flat headed ungapable type plugs with no arm electrode.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Wiggy, it wouldn't hurt to run her out at WOT for a few minutes after fishing and before you head for the dock. Would help to clean out any crud that the Sea Foam has loosened up in your 25.<br /><br />Mark