Which Tabs

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 18' Sailfish cc. I am looking to install trim tabs for better control. I am not sure as to what style tabs to use. I think I would perfer Smart Tabs, due to the less holes in the transom. But are they as effective as Bennett or Lenco adjustable tabs?
Ed

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which Tabs

But are they as effective as Bennett or Lenco adjustable tabs?

I've never owned SmartTabs, but I have the others. I'd suspect they're just as effective, but only for the condition they're tuned for. Bennett/Lenco are infinitely adjustable from the cockpit, which would seem to be what you'd want for5 "better control".

nlain

Commander

I have Smart Tabs on my boat, I will say that they work well in all conditions, smooth water, rough water, light load, heavy load and anything in between. They reduce bow rise, help get on plane quicker, stay on plane at slower speeds, make to boat handle the 2 to 4 foot chop of the sound better, increase speed, save gas. I vote Smart Tabs. The website: http://www.nauticusinc.com/
The phone number: 18002330194, call and talk to John. There is also a good pdf file on Balance and Performance on the website, good read.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Listen to Curmudgeon. My standard line on this question is if you are a guy who likes adjustability and fine tuning things, go with helm adjustable tabs. If you are a turn-key-and-go type of guy, go with Smart Tabs.

Edit: Oh, and budget issues definitely favors Smart Tabs. Install is an hour if you are ready to drill. Adjustable tabs are a significantly more involved install. Helm switch installation, wiring, through hull for wires (Lenco) or Hydraulics (Bennett) and pump install for Bennetts. Even with all that I prefer the adjustable tabs . . .