Which state to register/title boat in?

Josh in Pa

Cadet
I recently bought a used boat as my first boat. I am wondering which state to register it in. I bought it in new jersey, and the previous owner told me that jersey had an easy registration process, and I could possibly keep the registration numbers that are on the boat. I live in Pa, but am near maryland. The boat will likely run in all three states, Md the most, jersey the least. I would consider jersey only because I could possibly reuse the existing numbers on the boat. I've seen other boats with the old numbers peeled off and you could still see where they had been. Any advice? Thanks for any help,
Josh

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Which state to register/title boat in?

You need to register it where you live.

Josh in Pa

Cadet

I was under the impression that the boat should be titled in the state it was used the most? I guess I was wrong, and because I live in Pa, it should be titled in Pa?
Josh

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe legally, it should be registered in the State of primary use, which may be different than your state of residence.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I was under the impression that the boat should be titled in the state it was used the most? I guess I was wrong, and because I live in Pa, it should be titled in Pa?
Josh

needs to be registered in the state of your primary residence. Same as what is on your drivers license, voter reg. card, etc.
Now when you go to get the registration, if the clerk is not a jerk, you might ask if the numbers on your boat are in use by someone else in that state.
You would have to change the first two letters, but if the rest is available the clerk just might let you have those numbers.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In Minnesota you don't have to register the boat if it is registered in another state and not kept for 90+ consecutive days in MN. Doesn't matter what the address is on your driver's license.

I'd check the boating registration rules of NJ, MD and PA, all of them, just to be sure.

BigSteve1967

Seaman Apprentice

I live in NJ and I know for a fact the only way to Register and Title a Boat in this state is to Reside in this State. At the time of registration and Title they will ask you for your NJ drivers license.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to the NJ Motor Vehicle Commision you only need the boat title, proof of age, and ID. Doesn't really specify if the ID has to be NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

I still stand by my state of primary usage theory. It is quite common in some areas for people to live in one state and to boat almost exclusively in another. In that case, the boat should be registered in the state it is used in and not the state of residence.

KnotKnormal

Cadet

You register the boat in the state that it is going to primarily be used in. I live in Massachusetts and register my boat in New Hampshire since it is docked and stored during the winter there. I don't pay any sales tax in NH or any excise tax to Massachusetts because the boat never comes home. My trailer is registered in Massachusetts since it is tied to my car insurance.

Rhode Island also doesn't charge sales tax on any boat purchased in the state as long as it is registered in RI. There are a lot of boaters who reside in Massachusetts and register their boats in RI to save the sales tax (7%) and Massachusetts excise tax, as long as the boat is primarily used in RI.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i jst registered mine, they wanted my primary address, and the address of the marina or storage place it would be kept.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I agree with primary use as that's how I understand it, not the same as an automobile. Though here in Southern Wisconsin it doesn't seem to be inforced.

I live in an area with many small lakes with a large number of summer cottages around them. Most all have boats that have Illinois numbers on them even though they never leave the state. I see this as costing my state revenue and putting a burden on the permanent residents. As this takes away funds from our DNR which uses that money to manage the lakes and fisheries.

Yet a few years ago there was an incedent were our village wanted to increase ramp fees and these summer locals wanted to be able to vote on this as if they were permanent residents. To which I say, if your boat is registared here then you should have a say, if not, then now way.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Josh,

Are you going to traqiler the boat and keep it at home, or else where in PA, or are you going to keep it in another state? IE if you keep it on a trailer at the Jersey Shore and mostly use it there? Are you going to keep it in a slip.

If you are going to keep in on a trailer in PA, and trailer to where you use it, register it in PA.

If you are going to keep it in a slip, register it in the state you are going to keep it in a slip.

If you trialer it, and keep it in the trailer out of state and mostly use it out of state (IE NJ), register it there.

If you decide that you are going to mostly keep anduse it in Delaware, and register there, (no sales tax) be prepared to be checked, when you bring it back to PA, and have to pay the sales tax. If they come after you, instead of you going to them, there are fines involved.

Glast-Ron

Cadet

Well, I know that in MD (where I live) that they require you register here if your using it 6 months (or more) of the year in MD waters. This is the DNR site:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/registration/

Not that it would be easily enforceable..........

Nonetheless, I primarily use mine in VA, but decided to register in MD to save on the personal property tax VA uses. No problems so far. :D