which side to lay down 9.9 - 4 stroke?

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an '89 yamaha 4 stroke and I've been told you should only lay it down on one side or the crankcase oil will leak out. Anyone know which side that is?<br /><br />(I'm still waiting for the manual)<br /><br />Thanks!

JRJ

Commander
Re: which side to lay down 9.9 - 4 stroke?

Does it not have a rubber "stand" so that it would lay on its back, with the prop up?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is normally a decal/label that directs which side to lay it on. As pointed out, there are normally some rubber feet that provide a clue as well.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went out to look at the '96 on my boat, the decal shows - -[ up-right - or - prop down with the carry handle pointing to the sky - or - on its port side with the f-n-r pointing to the sky and the twist throttle against the ground ]. good luck

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Guys!<br /><br />Hopefully that manual will show up in the mail soon!

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike,<br />I have a 2003 8hp 4stroke high thrust and the owners manual states the motor can be stored in<br />a) vertical position<br />b) horizontal position (on the tiller handle)<br /><br />Yours may be different, go with the manual.

gump218

Cadet

I have a pdf version of the manual ... Can email but cannot copy any of the text - I forget where I downloaded...Steering handle down or cylinder head/prop down (placed on back of engine) is the proper storage according to the manual....