Which saltwater trolling motor and battery? *Beginner*

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm a noobie when it comes to electric motors but have found out through reading various things that I need a saltwater motor e.g. Minn Kota riptide and a deep cycle battery. I'll be using the motor for trolling mostly for periods of about 5-6hrs.

My question is which is the best motor for a 12 fot inflatable/RIB and why? Also how big a battery should I buy?

Thanks for your help, Ryan.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which saltwater trolling motor and battery? *Beginner*

MotorGuide and Minnkota both make saltwater motors. On your RIB I assume you will be using a transom mount motor. I would definitely look for one that has the Maximizer circuitry which optimizes battery run time. I don't know off hand which motors those are but they run far longer than conventional motors without that circuitry. Maximum thrust for a 12V motor is 55#. Anything more than that requires 24V which also requires two 12V batteries. As for batteries -- by the largest capacity deep cycle you have room for. You can't have too much power -- only too little.

I purchased the Motorguide Great White and have been very happy with the choice. It seemed to be a little more robust than the Minnkota riptide. I got the bow mount, 12 V, 55lb model and it works great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've been happier with motor guide than minn kota. i've had several of both on boats i've bought. i just purchased the motor guide W45 which is remote controlled, bow mount.

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this motor going to be your only form of power, if so 5 to 6 hours seems like a big ask from a battery.:%

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This will be my main motor on occasions, but I want it for continous silent trolling at lower speeds. And yes it'll be transom mounted.

So a deep cycle gel battery is the best, but how much time should I expect to get out of a for example a 80 amp battery?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

wiggy, thats a hard one to answer, depends on whether you are running on high, med or low. as they all draw different amps. you basicly have to take the amp hours of the battery and amps of the motor and calculate it out, and i'm not that good at it. there is a formula to figure it out.