which plugs are best??

machicj

Seaman Apprentice
hi all, i bought a 19' wellcraft last fall and would like to change the plugs this spring. it has "splitfire"? plugs in it now. how long ago were they popular?? i'm thinking they are pretty old. my clymer manual says "AC R42TS". any recommendations?? i've heard "NGK or BOSCH" just lookin' for opinions. thanks<br />p.s. the engine is a mercury mercruiser 4cy. 170hp. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: which plugs are best??

Ya got a year or model number for that engine, best of all would be a Mercruiser serial number.<br /><br />
outhouse.jpg

machicj

Seaman Apprentice

Don S., the motor # is A434953 model is MCM 170.

Don S

Merc calls for an NGK, BPR6FS plug in their newest parts catalog.

machicj

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Don, i also would like to change the fuel seperator filter. do i change it like an oil filter?? do you fill it with gas before screwin' it back on?? thanks for any help

Don S

On engines with mechanical fuel pumps, I don't worry about filling the new filter element with gas unless the engine is cold and hasn't been run for a while. Then it usually takes some cranking to get the carb full and the engine started. If you have run the engine and it's warm, just change the filter (Put some oil, not grease, on the seal ring)like you would an oil filter and start it up and it will fill the filter very easily without excessive cranking.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Yes and yes, and make sure you put oil on the rubber gasket or else the next time it may not come off. I have a number of oil filter wrenches I have used over the years and usuall one will fit, but I'd take a new filter and test fit the wrench first before you try getting the old one off. I like to use a clamp to pinch off the fuel line from the tank leading to the filter just in case. I know there is an anti siphon valve on the tank but.....