Which Minnkota Bow Mounting Plate to use?

LiquorPig

Recruit
I purchased a Powerdrive 2 Bowmount to replace my existing Powerdrive Bow Mount.
I bought an MKA 21 ($75.00) quick release mounting plate because it is padlock-able. I went to install and lucky for me someone had already purchased it and returned it after stealing all the hardware.

The instructions with the MKA-21 talked about using an MKA 22 ($40.00)mounting plate as a base if a Powerdrive was initially installed (which is the case) because the existing holes from my old motor would mate uip with the MKA 21 plate and no added drilling required.The MKA 22 would mount on that.

I noticed that Cabela's also sells a Minnkota quick release mounting plate $40.00 (no model number given) for all Powerdrives made that has holes drilled for a padlock.

Any Minnkota rigging experts out there?

Anybody use this basic plate on a Powerdrive 2?. Seems like I can save about 40-80 bucks and still get a lockable plate.
Thanks

LP

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which Minnkota Bow Mounting Plate to use?

The standard aluminum $39.00 quick release plate works for the PowerDrive V2 just as it did for previous versions. It is lockable, and is not plastic that someone can rip off the boat without tools. I've used these on my last three boats. If you already have the plastic mount and don't want to drill more holes you need the adapter. If you had the standard quick release plate on the old motor, just transfer it to the new motor. That plate is lockable through the slot in the side right behind the locking screw..

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Which Minnkota Bow Mounting Plate to use?

Its funny I just went through the same thing last week.

I took silvertips advise and went with the no frills simple extruded aluminum one. I have no real complains thus far. Its sleek and does its job well, and ITS STRONG.

Ok 2 complaints, well concerns really. The motor has to be slid in from the back to the front of the boat. Not a huge deal, but the motor can be a bit akward at times if you don't have good footing, or cant stand on the ground. I believe one of the other models uses this slide in tecqunique as well. This design makes it strong and secure, just takes a little to get used too.

The other concern is the thumb screw. It has to completely removed to slide the motor off the lower bracket. This design again makes it very secure, however re threading the screw back into aluminum, you should take your time. It would be easy to cross thread it if not careful. The good news is there's plenty of room if the threads ever get boogered up to re drill and tap a new hole. No big deal. Also you could forget the thumb screw and just use a padlock to hold it, however the screw helps to close the tolerances of the bracket and prevent rattle. As long as care is taken I don't really see this being a problem.

Overall I'm happy. And the $40 saved buys a lot of beer and fuel.

Bill