Which lube to get for lower unit - 60 ELPTO?

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need to change the lube in the lower unit of my 2004 60 ELPTO. I understand that I can choose between the squeeze tube and the quart bottles that I need the pump/attachment for....which is the easiest for someone to do at home? Also...would I use the Quicksilver High Performance lube? The one I am looking at from Boaters World says to use it with all lower units that use Hypoid 90 or High Viscosity Oils.

How much oil does the lower unit normally take to fill?

I just picked up this boat/motor this past weekend, the owner informed me that it was time to change the lower unit lube...want to get this done before taking the boat out this weekend!

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Which lube to get for lower unit - 60 ELPTO?

Quart bottle with the 10$ pump is the easiest to do. 11.5 oz for the 60 L/U.

Be sure to remove BOTH vent plugs before filling. Fill from bottom and when it pour out of the first hole, replace the plug and continue until it ooze out the second hole.

BTW, i've always used Quicksilver (Merc) gear lube.

WGLOVER

Cadet

go with the quart, much easier to use. The tube is ok for a touch up, but difficult for a full replacement of the lube. It takes almost a full tube to replace it and is almost impossible to squeeze it all out and then cap things up without a big mess.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! I got the Quicksilver lube and the pump, did it with no problems. ;)