Which Lower Unit oil? 1974 Johnson 85hp "Power Shift II"

Hi new Boat owner here Have a 1974 Johnson 85hp motor with "Power Shift II". Have purchased a manual yet and am at a loss as to which lower unit oil to use. Type "C" ?? Is power shift II the same as electric shift? Or should I use the Typical lower unit oil? <br />Thanks, any help will be appreciated, love to get the boat on the water at least once (purchased beginning of july and had to repair the transom)

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Which Lower Unit oil? 1974 Johnson 85hp "Power Shift II"

I "THINK" that is the first of the Hydro-Mechanicals like my '76 85hp. If so, it users standard gear lube like you gan get at Wal-Mart for $3/qt. Does the throttle lever shift it, or are there buttons?

looks like a standard shift 2 wires in one lever button underside of lever handle, need to pull in when shifting into gear.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

From 1973 to about 1976, OMC used a hydraulically assisted mechanical shifted gearcase. Bombardier (OMC) Premium Lube is recommeded for that one. <br /><br />The last electrically shifted hydraulic gearcase was in 1972, better check your model number.

ledgefinder

Ensign

I agree with seahorse - that LU still has a hydraulic pump & it'll shift better with OMC Premium Lube, or an aftermarket "Type C". Particularly in colder weather, like upstate NY will be seeing soon...

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

After reading this post, I realized that I have been running standard lower unit lube in my '76 85hp. Subsequently, I consulted my service manual and indeed it specifies premium blend. I had assumed that since it was manual shift standard lube would be ok. I fixed this motor up this spring and have run it all summer with standard lube. Have I possibly caused any damage? Should I change it immediately? - It seems to work fine. ...BTW, I noticed a note in the manual saying Dextron could be substituted in place of premium blend. What does everyone think of this? Not that I want to do it - just curious.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Mine has run for at least 6 years on standard lube and has shifted ok (not saying that was the right fluid, But that's what I've used always understood should be used).<br /><br />It may be fortunate that it gets few hours and is never used below 60 degrees or so.<br /><br />Hmmm... So is Type C by default the Premium Blend, or is teh PB a happy medium between regular and C?<br /><br />Is there another brand with an oil that meets the specs?<br /><br />EDIT: Ok I was wondering how I missed the premium Blend lube spec, so I went back and checked my service manual (Clymer). It is for '73 and up 3,4, and 6 cyl I think. It specs OMC HI-VIS and if it is unavailable, Premium Blend may be subbed, but not to use "automotive greases". <br /><br />Not trrying to debate this one, just want to know what is best for my LU as they are expensive and tough to find.

McGR

I'm still confused regarding this issue...<br /><br />As I mentioned in my earlier post regarding this, I have a '76 85hp with hydro-mechanical shift. After reading the various information on the post I decided to play it safe and change my lube to the correct type. So, I went down to my local J/E dealer. At firt I asked his opinion on the topic. He concurred that my lower unit needed a lower viscosity lube to assure proper shifting. So I had him supply me with the lube he recommended. At the time I didn't pay any attention to what he gave me. I just paid for it and was on my way. When I went to change the gear oil, I then decided to inspect the pacakge closer. He had sold me J/E (Bombardier) HI-VIS lube. At first I thought s&*!, he's given me the wrong stuff. Then I read the fine print on the back, it states the following:<br /><br />RECOMMENDED USAGE: FOr all J/E models 1973 and newer, and all Stern Drive models, 1978 and newer. Do not use in electric shift lower gearcases such as '62 to '72 models and '62 to '77 stern drive models. For these gearcases use J/E Premium Blend Lube.<br /><br />So, now I'm completely perplexed. The guy at the marina says it needs special lube, but sells me what seems to be standard lube. My service manual recommends Premium Blend, but the J/E gear lube says its good for all outboards of my model year. Can anyone out there definitively say what the correct lube is for the hyro-mechanical type gearcases?

ledgefinder

Ensign

I have a factory manual for a 1975 115 Johnson (same hydro-mechanical lower unit 1973-77). It says use Premium Blend, and if that's not available use Dextron (GM) automatic transmission fluid. It is possible that OMC has changed their recommendation in the 25 years since.<br /><br />Both these fluids are much lower viscosity ("thinner") than Hi-VIS. The "PowershiftII" lower units use a hydraulic pump to assist with shifting. With the lower viscosity fluid, the pump will work better, & the fluid will pass through the passages better. You shoud notice crisper shifting, particularly when the lower unit is cold.<br /><br />I wouldn't sweat it one way or another (HiVIS or PremiumBlend). Clearly it isn't a big concern, or OMC wouldn't have labelled HiVIS for 1973 on. I'd use the PremiumBlend next time you change it. (Or the aftermarket type C, which is about 1/3rd the cost - Lubriplate is one vendor that has it, and there's at least one more. If iBoats.com doesn't carry it, try Cabellas or boatfix.com.) <br /><br />The PowershiftII lower units provide a power assist for shifting. You can shift it purely mechanically (for instance, you can shift it with the motor off), so even with a real heavy fluid the lower unit will shift - it's just that you get no assist and it shifts a little slower. The hydroELECTRIC lower units, on the other hand, have no mechanical override, so the shifting difference between light and heavy viscosity is more noticeable.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I looked at a bottle of Type C and am confident it isn't proper. The label specifically said electric shift outboards 1972 and older and electric shift stern drives. <br /><br />I have noticed that lu oil is readily available in 75w90 and 80w90. Would the 75w90 be better as it is slightly lighter?<br /><br />Until I know otherwise I, I will continue using the same fluid I have used for 5+ years with good results - standard $3 bottle LU fluid. Yes, this is the one area where I buy the cheap stuff as I change it 2x a year and may accumulate 20hrs/yr. the fluid does more storage protection than running protection and I have never noticed any shift problems.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Thanks ledgefinder. You were typing at the same time I was. I'll see if I can locate some premium blend. I have to completely drain the unit this winter for a new seal anyway.

McGR

Ledgefinder:<br /><br />Thanks for your explanation, it seems to make the good sense out of this situation. As you recommended, I think I'll use PB/Type C next time. My only remaining question is why didn't OMC just recommend PB/Type C for all motors? - this seems like it would be the least confusing situation.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 1973 is NOT ELECTRIC SHIFT so you use HY-VIS or similar outboard gear oil.-------Type-C is NOT required here.

SourKandi

Cadet
So a power shift II does not mean electric shift? Thank you for such a quick response. Super excited to get working on this