Which is easier?

chris75h

Seaman
I know this is a relative question but my wife and I were talking about the differences between wakeboarding and skiing. My wife is a great slolam skier, but I have only skied a few times in my life. I am 6'4 about 275 and I think wakeboarding would be easier for me to get up and she says that skiing would be easier.

I am sure all of you have way more experience than I do so I was trying to get a consensus. I have been an athlete all my life, competing in football, boxing, bodybuilding and strongman. I dont compete anymore but I dont think I will have issues with the strength to get up but again I dont know much about either one so all info would be great.

Thanks
Chris

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which is easier?

I have been an avid slalom skier for over 30 years and still am pretty into it, I started on a wakeboard about 5-6 years ago. Of the two I would say wakeboard is MUCH easier to get up on. However you sound like a pretty strong guy so that would help greatly as far as slalom skiing is concerned. It takes much more strength to get up and ski hard than it does to wakeboard. I would say though that being as tall as you are (i'm 6'3") wakeboarding behind a boat without a tower will get into your back pretty good after awhile. I could take a number of sets on a ski and be fine but as soon as I went for a few on a wakeboard I started to feel it in my lower back. After I installed the tower all was good as far as the back thing went. If you are just learning I would reccomend a longer 69"-70" wide body ski, it will make the whole experience better for you. If you end up really liking it then you could move into something much more aggressive. With good strength at your weight(depending on boats power) dragging a leg to get up on a ski is the easiest way I have always had very good luck teaching people that way. So it may be worth a try get your arms way out by the tip of the ski and use the rear leg that is dragging to kick(like swimming) until the ski is on top of the water then stand up and insert rear foot.

chris75h

Seaman

That is great information Utah. I appreciate it. We have an old Cobalt so there is no tower so that is great information. Thanks again.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found it took a little longer to get up wakeboarding when I was first learning, but overall it's easier for me, especially if you don't have a very powerful boat. A wakeboard will get you out of the water at lower speeds than skies, in my experience. I find that skiing takes a lot more strength to pull yourself up.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you planing to ski with one or two skiis? I'd agree that a wakeboard would be easier that a single ski but I'm not so sure about two.

If you plan to wakeboard look at a board that is 144+ cm and also look at the total surface area as that will vary from model to model.

You also mention strength for this. I can speak for 2 skiis and wakeboarding and in both cases it's technique that is more important than strength. It'll be the boat's job to get you up on the water and your job will be to maintain the correct position. When I started again a few years back I had trouble getting up and it was due to me trying to pull myself up.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

board is easier (vs slalom), hands down. Easier to get up, less demanding on the knees once you are up (IMHO)

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Wakeboarding is much easier to come up... However.... after that it depends on what you want to do.

Its probably easier to become a proficient slalom skier in reguards to cutting back and fort and riding than it is to become a proficient wakeboarder. By this I mean a good wake boarder will be able to go wake to wake on jumps, toss in a few spins in the air, and be able to do all bot toe side and heel side riding regular and goofy.

No if its simply getting up and cutting back and fort and not trying any "tricks", wakeboarding is easier to get up on and ride around.

Also, forget your strength at the dock for getting out of the water. Really, its about technique and form and letting the boat and board do the work. If you try to hard or try to muccle your way through it, you will fail and get very frustrated.

chris75h

Seaman

Great info. The strength issue is a good point. I would probably try to power out just out of habit. Focusing on technique will be something I work on for sure. As far as one ski or two, this was part of the arguement. She said it is just as easy to get up on one ski as two but again she is phenomenal on the ski and has been slolaming since she was a kid. I have really no experience. Thanks for all the advice.

Chris