which ignition coil??

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />Finally i found out, which ignition my motor has. It's a Thunderbolt Type II (lightning energizer distributor). Thumbs up for the Seloc manual :D <br /><br />The only problem is, i can't find the ignition coil at dougrussell or partsexpress. Now i could get a coil for 5$, but i don't know if it fits.<br />Part Number is 338-4995A1.<br /><br />Is it possible to do a "reverse search"? To find out if the offered coil fits my setup?<br /><br />many thanks<br />martin

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: which ignition coil??

dodl<br /><br />You can get the coil on parts express. It has been superseded by part number 339-832757A . Enter that number in the parts search and it's there for around 29.00. If it fits is another question, but you may be able to find out more with the newer number.<br /><br /> <br /> we b page

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />Thanks for your reply.<br />But i don't know if this is the right coil for my motor. This coil was offered to me, but i can't find any info which is the right one for my motor. Even in the manual there is nothing.<br /><br />No i hoped i could find out if this coil (338-4995A1) is the right one or not.<br /><br />thanks<br />martin

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I know what your saying, but I was hoping that the new number may help. Do you have a year on this motor? HP? Anything to go on?

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />Sorry, i forgot :) <br /><br />The Motor is a Mercury 500 (50HP). I have no S/N, except for one, nobody could find in any of the serial charts. When i asked here some time ago, some members said, it's from 1972.<br /><br />For sure i know the Type II ignition. When i look at dougroussell, i can find all ignition parts. But no ignition coil. And now i have no clue, which is the right one....<br /><br />An original replacement coil in my area costs about 90$. So i would like to avoid expensive trial and error :D <br /><br />Thanks a lot<br />martin

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

It is an old 4 Cylinder. <br /><br />Maybe a stupid idea, but i already thought of changing the whole system. And put in a "Type I" ignition (Magneto) instead of the Thunderbolt ignition. This should solve several problems. No coil, no switchbox.<br /><br />The "Type I" was used on this motor with all else similar to mine. Same powerhead, carbs etc...<br /><br />thanks<br />martin

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If it's any consolation, every year engine of that era uses the same coil. The original was # 339-7370A13 superseded by part # 339-832757A4. Hope this helps! The one you are looking at will work!

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Great!<br /><br />Many thanks, so i'll go for it :) <br /><br />cu<br />martin

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />And finally i ordered 2 CD's with exploded views and part numbers :) <br />Hope this makes it easier in the future...<br /><br />Many thanks again!<br /><br />cu<br />martin