which hydrofoil is best on a small outboard?

which hydrofoil is best on a small outboard?

• stingray xp junior

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • doel-fin

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • SE sport 200

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

bzajdek

Seaman
I have a 12" whaler clone trihull that rides front high under acceleration no matter how you distribute weight, I have a nissan 9.8 four stroke that is heavier than its 2 stroke brother so I am going to try a stabilizer for my boat to get a better ride even if I lose a coulple of mph off of the top end. Whats your vote for the best one?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: which hydrofoil is best on a small outboard?

I think a trim tab would fix your problem not a fin

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Although the claims for them on the package may say this is a good application for a fin, its not what they do well. You need tabs.

bzajdek

Seaman

This is a 12 foot boat, I think tabs will cost more than the boat.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Smart Tabs are not that much. I will try to explain my problem with the foil. Let's look at it from a stability stand point. a foil creates a pivot point along the keel of your boat. Picture trying to trailer your boat with only the center bunk. The boat will fall to one side. That is why there are bunks on each side in addition to the center bunk. The same holds true with the foil. I took a large wake sideways from a speed boat while running about 30mph in my old 19' cuddy. My cuddy almost rolled over and scared my kids so bad I had to buy a pontoon to get them back on the water. Trim tabs provide stability on the outside of the transom and actually keep the boat stable. The foil also adds additional stress to your transom.

Adding the Smart Tabs to my cuddy was the best $130 I had ever spent and the new owner loves them.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can always pick up a low cost fin and give it a try, if you don't like it just take it off.

bzajdek

Seaman

sx-selection-chart.jpg

It does not look like they have an application for my type of boat!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Use the ST780-20

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to be the voice of the other side, on my 19 foot boat the SE Sport foil works great. I see that they now have a way of attaching it without drilling your cavitation plate. Iboats sells them. Go for it.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen it argued the a fin on the motor puts stress on the motor mounts. Look at it this way- you're adding a lot of lift to the motor mounts that they weren't designed to handle. Start slamming over waves, and it makes it worse. I really don't know if that's true or not, but my '83 Johnson 35 had all of the motor mounts broken when I got it. I took the fin off.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a Stingray on my 7.5HP and am happy with it's performance. It came with an outboard I bought and after a couple months I took it off to see how it would affect the boat's handling/speed. There was no performance gain with it off and the boat was a lot slower coming on plane,,, so it went right back on.