Which Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Type is Best?

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure if this question belongs here or in general restoration forum. I had a new 60 gallon gas tank manufactured for my boat. I need to get a new fuel gauge sending unit since the old one actually fell apart inside the old tank. My question is which is the best type to get, vertical sliding float type or swing pivot arm float type. The sending unit mounts in the front of the belly tank and the tank does have baffles. Just not sure which type sending unit gives the most accurate and reliable readings. I think I read somewhere that the sliding float type gives readings in steps instead of continuous like the swing pivot arm type. In addition, what brand is the best?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
which is the best type to get

In short I would say the one which will last. I've installed many from float arm, tube with float inside the tube, and tube with float outside the tube. All fail its just the matter of how long.

The float arm has been around the longest, and is probably the most used. To determine if it will work you could use a coat hanger and see how much room there is.

If you get the tube type, get one close to one inch shorter then the depth of the tank

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The swing arm types use a variable resistor to give the fuel level reading. And that type gives a smooth reading (sort of) and not stepped. Reed type sensors do use step reading because they use a magnet that slides along with the fuel level and switches on individual magnetic reed switches. Therefore you will get steps. The more reed switches it uses, the closer each step is to each other. And if you have a sallow tank, you will not have a lot of reed switches involved.

Cars mostly use a variable resistor setup. And those work pretty well for years. So it really is a personal issue of which type you like. Magnetic reed switches are for the most part sealed inside a tube and last pretty long as well. The actual reed switches are never exposed to the fuel. Just some info for you to ponder...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For an accurate measurement, I’d take a sensor that self averages (steps) over a unit that swings wildly from empty to full and back with every wave.

For a precise measurement, a fuel flow monitor the only way

I replace the enclosed tube type sensors that came OEM with these when they died

So far so good after 10 years

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level-FuelWater.shtml#.Xm6LXiUpCEc

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the WEMA SSS/SSL Sender

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the most accurate is an ultrasonic fuel tank sender. they are pricey, and generally not needed for any consumer application

however any of the commercially available senders (either swing arm or float) from rockford gauge, wema, Veethree, Cobo, etc. will work just fine.

harringtondav

Commander
I replaced my 22 yr old OEM swing arm sender with a Moeller reed switch unit, just because it was a good time and I was replacing my carpet.

As stated above I switched to the reed unit because the swing arm unit swung wildly. Mostly and annoyance, but I was afraid the gage needle would eventually shake loose. I haven't noticed the steps, and it tells me when I better take on more fuel. The gage readings are now quite calm.