Which engine should I buy ?

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice
I am in a daze. For my available budget (£1,700)I can buy one of the following used engines for my 16 foot cathedral hulled GM fibreglass boat. the boat does not have a plate with max HP ratings.<br /><br />Engine 1 is a 1991 Mariner 60 ELPT with all the knobs bells and whistles I could want, <br /><br />Engine 2 is a basic 1999/2000 Mariner 40 which is manual start etc.etc. <br /><br />I want reliability and I want speed to get me to my favourite fishing grounds quickly. i also want economy and, being 57 years old, I don't want to give myself a heart attack trying to pull-start a flooded engine.<br />Which engine would YOU go for and why?<br />John Barrow

D

DJ

Re: Which engine should I buy ?

My vote goes for the '91' 60 hp. <br /><br />As long as:<br /><br />1. It is healthy (compression, etc)<br /><br />2. Looks to be well taken care of.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

John, even though the one engine is older, I think you have answered your own question. #1 has Electric Start, Power Trim and more HP. Sounds like what you're after... If it all checks out, go for it. Of course, it is older than the other, so check it out thoroughly. Compression test, take it for a spin and have a Local Mechanic check it out if possible...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Based on your wants the older 60 is the one for you.If it were me it would be a no brainer.8-9 years newer is the way to go without a doubt as long as the running hours on both are where they should be.Value does not come with options,it comes with newness.Charlie

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

The 60 if it checks out ok. Electric start and the extra power and bells and whistles are things you can feel everytime you use it. Age means little to me...actual condition is important though!<br /><br />Economy? There isn't much difference of one to the other at similar speeds.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If that is all you have to choose from I would go for the 60 but you are going to be underpowered unless the boat is a narrow bass boat if it's a lake boat it's going to be a bit slow, that boat if it's a lake boat is probaly rated for a 80 or 90. I am running a 1974 70hp that I gave $400 for and wouldnt trade it for anything, on a 16' lake boat but mine is aluminum and only weighs 530 lbs. it is rated for a 80hp a lot of the boats in glass are rated for up to 100hp. you can run a big motor easy and have plenty of power or run the guts out of a small motor and have it die..Just my thoughts. :cool:

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats almost $3200 USD you should be getting more for that kind of money wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean<br />Go for the xtra power 40hp on a 16 footer will work itself to death