which engine for a 27 ft Playcraft?

jtsiegel

Cadet
I am planning to purchase a 27 ft Playcraft for use at Lake of the Ozarks, very rough water. The two options are a 300 Mercury Verado or 250 Honda. Price at purchase is pretty similar. Any recommendations/thoughts????? Thanks.

mpilot

Seaman
​Either. In fact some put a Mercury 400 on it or even twin 300s but a single engine will be fine for our needs. We're looking for pros and cons of each engine to help make our decision.

Never heard anyone say they had too much horsepower. They had a play craft with twin 400r's on it at the boat show last weekend. Crest had one with two 350 Verado's.

In your case, 50 more hp for the sane price would be the way I would go. Also you can get those in white now and they look sharp.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I saw a 200 hp on a pontoon boat like mine .It was a Honda But mine is only rated for 135 hp. 300 hp on a pontoon boat is over kill .plus it could rip the back of your boat off. What's the insurance company say about over rating your hp.?

mpilot

Seaman
I saw a 200 hp on a pontoon boat like mine .It was a Honda But mine is only rated for 135 hp. 300 hp on a pontoon boat is over kill .plus it could rip the back of your boat off. What's the insurance company say about over rating your hp.?

It's not over rated and these aren't your normal pontoons. As I stated in the above post I saw a brand new Playcraft at the boat show that this guy is looking at with twin 400r racing motors from the factory. This tritoon will easily handle the 250-300 hp this guy wants to throw at it. I can't count the number of tritoons on our lake now that have 300+hp. I've even seen some 2 to on boats now being rated for around 175-200hp with the right package. On those boats it's less of a motor pod and more of a mini toon back there. One went about 8 feet under the boat. The high hp tritoons are all full length so no worries on it ripping off the boat.

Last edited: