Which Bravo 3 props to buy?

collawash

Seaman
I have a '99 Chaparral Sig 27 w/7.4 liter MCM 315 hp and Bravo 3 drive. With fuel, water and stuff, the boat must weigh 7000# plus. I currently run 24" pitch uncupped props. The engine says WOT should be 4200-4600 rpms. Trimming out the drive and a moderate load, I run 39 mph but only 4100 rpms. <br /><br />With the counter rotating props, how is the RPM calculation different? Hole shot is okay (I've always had a much smaller boat), but using the trim tabs definitely helps. I've thought about 22" pitch uncupped or 20" pitch cupped props, but am still not sure. I know the Mercury cupping on these B3 props are not very aggressive. Just the trailing edge is cupped, not the entire blade surface.<br /> <br />At $1000 a set, trial and error is really not a viable option unless I get myself a good divirce attorney after I buy them. :eek: I'm looking to help with those days of heavy loads, wind and getting up on a plane with the canvas up. <br /><br />I've checked the calculators, but still need more clarification. Every prop shop says something different. Anyone else have some words of wisdom or a boat similiar in size and power/drive?<br /><br />"I am my own worst enemy"-Fishnfreak

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Which Bravo 3 props to buy?

I would think the 22" props, cupped or uncupped would put you right in the sweet spot........<br />I think the 20"ers would be just Too Small......<br />You might try a Prop Shop.... They should be able to flatten your props down to a 23" or so......<br />A Couple Hundred Buck$, instead of a Grand......

collawash

Seaman

Found a 22" set on Ebay for $500, only used 2-3 hours as the new Searay they came with was under propped. Now I'm at 4500 rpm at WOT without trimming the drive. The 22" is perfect, hole shot is what i would expect the motor would do

summit1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

detail