Which Boat Would You Choose?

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am now in the market to move up to a bigger boat and have my eye on two that I am trying to decide between and need your help to which would be my better option.

1) 1982 Grady White 22' W/A. The hull has its fair usage and would need its touch ups such as bottom paint, a new gel coat, and some trim. The motor is a 1998 Johnson 175 FITCH that supposedly has had all the proper maintenance repairs done to it. The other factors that contribute to me purchasing the boat are that it is to big for the trailer I currently own and it has an open transom. The owner is asking $6,500. (5 min. from my house)

2) 1985 Dixie II 21' W/A. The hull seems to be in fair condition with the exceptions of some trim work and bottom paint. The boat has a 1985 Evinrude 140 extended off an enclosed transom. The owner did admit to running aground and having to repair the bottom end. The way I see it, the motor would need to be replaced in the next year or two or purchasing. The boat does come with a tandem axle trailer and would most likely even fit on my current one. The owner is asking $3100. (1 hour from my house)

If this was your purchase, which boat would you go with and why? Would love to have it for the spring but want to purchase before march due to a greater bargaining chip during the colder months. Thanks guys for your help in advance.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which Boat Would You Choose?

IF I had to choose I'd go with the Grady, however in my humble opinion neither of those two are very appealing at those prices.

I'd likely triple the amount of money you figure on "fixing" the issues with either one of them and likely you'll find more. By your description neither of those boats have been properly cared for. The Grady needing "gel coat" would lead me to believe the fellow ran it aground or into things on more than one occaision. The other admits to having had the bottom "repaired".

I'd keep looking. Where are you from?

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am from NJ. The boats have both been used in Barnegat Bay thier entire lives so the hitting ground is not that uncommon around here. The bay is very shallow and if you do run aground, you are just rubbing the sandy bottom.

According to the owner of the Dixie, only the bottom end of the motor was damaged and needed repair. I would plan on putting another used engine on the rear soon anyway.

As for the Grady, I may be incorrect in saying gel coat, I meant that the paint job of the boat is faided and would need a new one. I was lead to believe that that is what it is called, am I incorrect in saying this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do not like the FICHT, there are many service centers that will not service them.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Gel coat is the typical finish on a fibergalss hull. It can usually be buffed out. You do not want to redo it, it can be done, but read up on it in the Restoration forum vvvvvvv

How far do you have to haul to the ramp? That would determine the importance of the trailer for me.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Tash, stay away from the FICHT.

Im not really sure why you would want to replace the Evinrude? Am I missing something here? That is a fantastic motor. The price is more in the ballpark as well.

Of course, we are going on brief descriptions here. Survey, compression test, etc, etc, etc, is important when purchasing a new boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Without looking at the Grady it's hard to pass judgment one way or another.

The price is pretty much in-line for a Grady of that vintage that has been re-powered and has been kept in reasonable shape. I sold my 1985 Overnighter (20?) four years ago for over twice that price to the first person who came out to look at. The boat still had the orginal 1985 Mercury Black Max on it.

The transom was the Achilles heel of Gradys of that era. I would take a good look at it before doing anything else. If the transom is still solid, then get inside and walk around on the hatch covers over the fuel tanks. If the hatches are still solid you should be good to go structurally.

Gel coat wise take some rubbing compound and a can of wax with you. Compound and wax an area and see how hard it is to clean up.

Motor wise I would not be afraid of the Ficht and would certainly take it over a 25 year old motor carbureted motor. The guy in the slip next to me has twin 175 Ficht on his Grady Gulfstream. After some initial problems, they have treated him pretty well the last 8 years.

A friend of mine has a 1984 Grady Offshore with the large open transom. I?m not a real fan of it but the fact that the boat is still afloat after 24 years of service. ;)

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/catalogs/PDFs/1982.pdf

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im not really sure why you would want to replace the Evinrude?

I want to replace that motor because of its age and how much more gas it will consume than a newer one. Also, it is much louder and less reliable.

The ramp is 1.4 miles from my house but I still do not want to risk putting that large and heave boat on my single axle trailer.

And as for the Grady, the hull is solid.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I want to replace that motor because of its age and how much more gas it will consume than a newer one. Also, it is much louder and less reliable.

The ramp is 1.4 miles from my house but I still do not want to risk putting that large and heave boat on my single axle trailer.

And as for the Grady, the hull is solid.

Although I'm not sure on how much gas a "newer motor" will consume, I don't think there would be that much difference. A newer motor could possibly be worse on gas.

To find out how reliable the motor is do a compression check. If the compression readings are good then that motor with the proper maintenance will last a long time. I have several family members that run the old E'rudes, I am one of them, I run a '78 model 85hp. These older motors can be hard to beat. Just because you get a newer motor doesn't mean that you are out of the woods as far as maintenance and repairs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, NO WAY on a single axle . . .

Also, planning on replacing an engine for reliability makes a lot of sense, but it rarely (read never) pays off to replace an engine for fuel economy. Pleasure boaters rarely burn more than 500 gallons of fuel a year. Let's say you save 25% on fuel by going newer (you won't). So you don't burn 125 gallons of that 500. And you save $4 a gallon (would be less than $2 today). In that example, where everything is higher than it will be, you save $500 a year. It will take a hell of a long time to get back what you will have to pay for a decent motor . . . ;)

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it looks like the jury is split on this one. Im going to take another look at both boats this weekend again. If anyone can help me further, I would be very appreciative because I still do not know which way to go.

Is one boat better in rougher waters than other? Is there anything that really sets one apart from the other when they are on the water?