Which 4 stroke ?

nicandpaul

Recruit
Hi Im thinking of replacing my Johnson 35 for a 4 stroke.The engine is used to sedately push a 23ft Weston along the UK canals any advise greatly received<br />cheers

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which 4 stroke ?

I don't know what a Weston is, but if it's 23 feet you need about 100 more hp to wake it up. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by joew94th:<br /> I don't know what a Weston is, but if it's 23 feet you need about 100 more hp to wake it up. :D
Yea I thought he was talking about a kicker motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did ANYBODY except Moderator1 actually read the post?<br /><br />NicandPaul want advice on what 4 stroke they should get to replace his Johnny 35 to push his boat sedately (little or no wake) around canals (narrow waterways).<br /><br />My advice is a Merc EFI 30hp or 40hp or a Suzuki/Johnson EFI 40hp. My preference would be the Suzuki/Johnson DF40.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats, NicandPaul. :) <br /><br />Happy boating.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Nicandpaul, My wife and I (and heaps of freeloaders) hire a 60ft houseboat every year on a local lake which is totally 'no wake' zone. The houseboat is powered by 2 10hp 4stroke hondas - plenty for cruising.<br /><br />We cruised the norfolk broads in your country 20 years ago - its all 'no wake' right?<br /><br />A small 4stroke (30 or 40) will be plenty but what if you decide to use your boat elsewhere - just a thought.<br /><br />Aldo

D

DJ

nicandpaul,<br /><br />I agree with JB on the recommendations. <br /><br />If any of those models mentioned is available with a "hi thrust" lower gearcase, I would go that route.

Forktail

Ensign

Save some money and some fuel, and go with the Yamaha T25 High Thrust. It's mighty big for a little outboard. :) <br /><br />My 9.9 High Thrusts can just about get my 23'ers on step. No kidding.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a look at the Mercury 40hp EFI Bigfoot O/B.<br /><br />Welcome aboard. :)

SCO

Lieutenant

Good point forktail. Question is how much usable horsepower do you get out of a motor pushing a displacement hull with a planing hull geartrain and prop setup. Id look at sailboat power setups.