Where's the oil sending port on F115 Yamaha 4-Stroke?

I'm about to put a bypass oil filter on my 4-Stroke, but before doing so I wanted to check with everyone to see where to oil sending port is located. TIA.<br /><br />By the way, it's an '03 115HP Yamaha 4-Stroke.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where's the oil sending port on F115 Yamaha 4-Stroke?

Opposite side of engine from the starter bendix. Item #21 in the Electrical 3 parts list on Yamaha's web site. I can't help but ask if you intend to use that port as part of your bypass filter system?

I intend to use it as my pressure source for the "in" port of my bypass filter.

Thanks for your response!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since we don't know how the OUT side of the filter is going to be plumbed, we only have half the picture. But -- if the OUT side is simply routed back to the crankcase you will destroy the engine in a heartbeat. Why? Because you've created a monster oil leak which will starve every bearing in the engine. All the oil will go to the path of least resistance and bypass the bearings. Hate to alarm you but I'm only throwing up the flag. Hopefully you have this thought through.

Genesis

Cadet

Not true. A bypass filter has a restrictor fitting in it for this very reason - only a very small amount of oil (1gpm or so) goes through the bypass filter.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So what's the point? Seems like heck of a risk for very little benefit. What's gained over the standard filter setup. Why not use a remote filter adapter and install an "oh my gosh" size oil filter wherever you like (complete with all the external plumbing that can leak or break). Just playing devils advocate here.

Genesis

Cadet

Bypass filters are FAR more efficient are removing "stuff" from the oil, since they do not have to pass the oil QUICKLY. They use depth-type filters.

Oil doesn't typically wear out - it needs to be changed due to contaminents that build up in it. The depth filter removes those.

The only argument AGAINST one is complexity of the system and potential additional failure points (E.g. blow a hose, lose a motor)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's my point. Why add complexity to what is a working system. Unless a god awful number of hours are being racked up on this motor with little chance for compliance with service intervals this seems to be far more trouble than its worth. I once knew a guy that never changed oil on his cars but he did change the filter regularly and added oil when necessary. Drove is vehicles routinely to 100,000 miles.

Fellas,

Bypass filtration "bypasses" approximately 10 percent of the sumps capacity while the engine is running. The full flow filter is still retained. The bypass filter mount has a restrictor orifice that is 1/16th of 1 inch (that's tiny). That allows the bypass filter (bypass filters are setup different than full flows) to "super clean" the oil. Remember, oil doesn't wear out it just gets dirty from blow-by, contamination, etc...from the engine.

A bypass filter removes abrasive particles from your crankcase oil, keeps insolubles to nearly zero, and allows the oils chemistry to not deplete itself therefore oil changes are darn near a thing of the past.

I have a Powerstroke diesel and have a bypass setup on it and with 7000 miles on my oil under a 100x microscope that lab technician stated that my oil "looked as clean or cleaner than new oil out of the bottle". By the way, to be able to tell how far you can go on your OCI's (oil change intervals) routine oil analysis' is always recommended.

To learn about bypass filtration and oil in general check out Bob is the Oil Guy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is having a "water in oil" issue like many four-strokes do this might be a solution to that problem. And it might be a good idea if the engine gets way higher than normal use with little chance for routine service. But I still contend that due to the plumbing it opens the door to other failures. Anyway, post some pictures when you get it installed. I'm sure others would like to see it. Please post before and after oil pressure readings as well. A 1/16-inch hole flows a lot of oil at 40 PSI. I suspect a "rattle motor" oil pump has a tad more volume than the Yammy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is having a "water in oil" issue like many four-strokes do this might be a solution to that problem. And it might be a good idea if the engine gets way higher than normal use with little chance for routine service. But I still contend that due to the plumbing it opens the door to other failures. Anyway, post some pictures when you get it installed. I'm sure others would like to see it. Please post before and after oil pressure readings as well. A 1/16-inch hole flows a lot of oil at 40 PSI. I suspect a "rattle motor" oil pump has a tad more volume than the Yammy.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Double post again! Good memory -- just not very long:}

Silvertip said:
A 4 quart sump won't miss the volume. Keep in mind that not only is the oil flowing through a 1/16 inch hole but it's also having to flow through depth filter media AND force oil through the out port and into a non pressurized return spot.