Where's my luck??

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
I listed my '94 Celica in ebay last week. I set the reserve about a thousand bucks lower than average retail. I now have 9 hours left and 7 watchers and NO bids. How is it that some people can sell total CRAP there and I can't sell a great car for a great price. What is the secret to getting people to buy stuff there?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Where's my luck??

Ya think 200,000 miles might have something to do with it?

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

There are cars with 200,000 miles in the shape mine is in and there are cars with 75,000 miles that are totally clapped out.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Kelley's Blue Book list average resale value, in your zip code, as $2,355.00. That probably has something to do with the slow bidding.

dolluper

Captain

Yes I think your starting bid amount has scarred some potenial buyers at 2000 you would have had bidding frency and you know some people they have to win no matter what the cost and CHEAPO is not a word to use :D :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have 205K on a Safari Van, 4.3 no leaks, no burning, everything works. Looks good too. Only the intelligent buyers will look. They know it has been maintained.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Oh well.. I know what it's worth. So I'll just drive it for another 100,000.. it's a Toyota afterall.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Let me tell you about selling a used car in today's market. I had a '97 Ford ZX2 with 70,000 miles. It was 5 years old when I first tried to sell it. I tried Blue book, no bites, I tried $2000 under, no bites. Put another 10,000 miles on it, finally sold it to my BIL for $3000. Not a thing wrong with the car, just 0% financing on new cars.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You set the reserve too high, and you are getting nervous too soon.<br /><br />The first thing you must do is get the first bid. You need a low reserve or no reserve to get that first one. Other bidders will be unwilling to let someone else get it that cheap. . . and the fun begins.<br /><br />With 200K on it you shouldn't expect to get anywhere near NADA retail. Maybe NADA wholesale would be a more realistic target. Most vehicles I see go on ebay are either special interest vehicles or they sell for near wholesale.<br /><br />When I sold a boat on ebay last summer the bids doubled in the last ten minutes.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

There's 0% financing right now but then you have payments. This car would be ideal for a kid graduating or for a second car. I'm not gonna worry though. If it doesn't sell I'll keep driving it. I'm sure as heck not going to give it away. But then.. thinking... it would be really cool with a SB Chevy or Mopar in it. There are a couple of each lying around here. Would have to buy a rear axle though. Maybe a narrowed 9" Ford. Got an 8 3/4 mopar in the garage.... I'll do some measuring. :)

dolluper

Captain

Hummm Youall have about 3 years of measuring to do ,been there done that welding,dummy casts of motor, wiring,suspenion changes, priming,painting++++++++and a few B--U--C--K--S

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Like sangerwalker says.... we never said it was easy, just that it's cool. :)

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

nothingbig.. in Minnesota you can get a car with 75-85000 miles that's eaten up by salt roads. But you are right... I value this car. That's why I'll probably not list it again. I will probably either drive it or give it to one of my kids. But you never know.. I might drop the price a bit. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. But then in 10-20 years it might be worth thousands. I sold a '56 T-bird in great shape for $1800 in 1970. I sold a fuel injectected '57 Chevy in 1962 for $1000. It's only a car. I was just wondering why people would pay so much money for crap.. like advertising on someone's forehead and not a decent price for a great car. I'm sorry that I started this thread.. I hope that we can put it to rest now.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

for 3000 in minnesota you can get a car with 75-85000 on her and only 6-8 years old. YOU value this car. It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Your finding that it ain't 2950.