Where to test Vacuum on 1990 Evinrude 200

ehaskins

Cadet
Ok Dealership is sending me a new VRO because fuel pressure was low. It should be here tomm where can I plug my guage to test vacuum once everything is mounted and motor running?<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Eric

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Where to test Vacuum on 1990 Evinrude 200

I would tee into the pulse line that the VRO connects to.

ehaskins

Cadet

Before or after check valve? How do I tell if the check valve is bad in that line?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Eric

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

When you want to check vacuum, you mean the fuel system vacuum, correct? If so, use a piece of clear fuel line and a T-fitting. Install this at the VRO fuel inlet fitting along with the vacuum gauge hose. Run the boat at all speeds and make sure the vacuum does not exceed 4" Hg at any time. Most 'healthy' fuel systems have around 3" Hg. Make sure there are no bubbles in the fuel line than signal an air leak somewhere.<br /><br />You do not have to test the "check valve" for the pulse line on the new VRO. It comes with the new style valve that has a blue face on it.<br /><br />Don't forget to run 50:1 fuel mix before hooking up the oil line to test the "no oil " warning system. Follow all the procedures in the service manual. At this time it would be a good idea to flush out the oil tank, replace the filter, and install new oil line if the old one is brittle or stiff. Use the correct clamps also.

ehaskins

Cadet

Seahorse,<br /><br /> I was having low fuel pressure(1psi @ 2500rpm+) and I wanted to test the vacuum on pulse line to make sure I am getting suff. amount to drive pump.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Eric

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

There is no spec or test for pulse line vacuum, besides it is a pressure and vacuum pulse on every revolution.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You may get a reading from the pulse hose with a guage that has a damper. A Kawasaki mechanic may have one, new engine would have about 5-7 inches vacuun or the same amount of pressure. I would think that if the crankcase pressure is down, the cylinder compression would also be down or crank seal bad.