Where to rent a trailer?

highamperage

Cadet
Hey! I need to rent a trailer for 6-7 days for my 32' Bayliner Conquest, and am having trouble finding one to rent. If I could find one anywhere in Washington or Oregon, that would be good.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or anyone willing to rent one to me?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to rent a trailer?

What's the Beam on that boat? I don't have a trailer for something that big, but a 32' boat may require a specific trailer that could be very hard to find. You may need to use a trucking company that specializes in Boat moving . . .

highamperage

Cadet

It has a 12' beam. I was thinking one of these triple axle trailers designed for boats in this size range might work. I see some for sale on craiglists. Do you think the beam is unusual and/or a problem with this?

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A triple axle trailer will be fine for your boat as long as it rated for the weight of your boat. With a 12' beam, you will be required to have a wide load permit. Each state has their own wide load permits.

It will be very difficult to find a tralier to rent. I have serveral trailers that would work, but if I rented one to a customer, my insurance would go thur the roof and I could not charge enough to cover the cost. You would be better to buy a used trailer and resell the tralier.

highamperage

Cadet

Yea, the buying/selling idea was actually something I am considering. The boat is going from Washington to Fort Worth, TX, and there are not many trailers available down here.. but quite a few boats.. so I was thinking it might be an opportunity.

The float on/off ability of the trailer I mentioned earlier is desirable, half my problem with the trucking situation is that they will not float on/float off and my town doesn't have a lift, so I have to hire a crane for $400 per hour. Then, once arriving the fees for the lift are more than I imagined, this combined with some unexpected expenses means I'm coming up short.

Anyway, I also found this trailer. http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/1635322482.html

Not that great, but it might do the job. Price is right lol.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for that great a distance, have you priced having it shipped by flatbed trailer or better, rail car? Are there boat dealers in Washington that take deliveries from boat manufacturers in Texas? Their trucking company might want the return cargo.

or commercial renters such as Ryder who lease to businesses, including construction equipment lessors. But you may need special licensing.

After all, if you are driving it yourself, do you also have to get a tow vehicle? Wide load permits in each state you cross? Sounds like a big undertaking--at 2 mpg.

One thing's for sure, there's no cheap option!

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you would be better off shipping with a company that specializes in boat moving. The costs of the trailer, fuel and any permits and unforseen happenings along the way could cost a lot more than the shipping costs.

highamperage

Cadet

No cheap option is right.

I have priced trucking services, but not railcar or boat dealer delivery option. The real issue I've encountered is they all use flatbeds which can't wet load, and there is no lift in the area. So, a crane must be brought in, at $400 per hour.

I do have access to a vehicle (And driver) capable of pulling it, and there is a WASHTO permit I am going to check into, which is a "team" of states so I would only need to get one permit for all the states assuming I avoid Wyoming. I will see if that will work in my situation. If not, the permits don't seem too expensive, but are a pain to get.

Check out this site: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/commercialvehicle/ for info regarding WASHTO. I will read it in detail later today.

I have not towed this boat before, but according to my research similar vehicles get around 10-12mpg towing 10,000-20,000 lbs campers.

This will be a big undertaking but I am between a hard place and a rock. Leaving it where it is is not an option due to upcoming yacht club dues.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No cheap option is right.

I have not towed this boat before, but according to my research similar vehicles get around 10-12mpg towing 10,000-20,000 lbs campers.

10-12mpg is not going to happen think about half to a quarter of that. Trucks that can tow 20,000lbs don't get 12mpg unloaded.

I have towed big (read 65ft long, 12000 lb) trailers and get about 4-7mpg depending on road conditions. I have used all 3 brands of one ton trucks, they all get bad mileage.

highamperage

Cadet

haha I think teh boat gets worse than 4-7mph :D

Well, I can't argue regarding the fuel efficiency when towing, since I have not towed this before. But quite a few people with diesel trucks stated that... maybe they were all in some sort of competition to impress each other tho.

Who knows.

Anyway, luckily for me, a transport company presented itself who can float on/and off and for a good price, they're picking the boat up today.

Saved about $1500 not using the cranes, about $500 on shipping, and can put it in right near the slip which is good since appearantly the batteries coorded since I left and one engine won't start. I will have my hands full. :cool: