where to put temp sending unit on 1960 60hp sea king?

Dewey

Seaman
There is a hot light on the dash and also a temp gauge. Neither are hooked up and the temp gauge wires come out by the shifter and throttle lever box. What wire should go to the hot light? I have the manual for the motor and it does not indicate any thing for these. For the temp gauge, where should the sending unit be mounted. The engine is a V4 out board model GG8850A. I asked a mechanic and he said that there has to be a plug or some place there to mount the sender. I could not find it. I am not totally sure what to be looking for. Thanks for any info.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: where to put temp sending unit on 1960 60hp sea king?

Tell ya what Dewey. I'll bet the temp sending unit will be a bimetalic sender that is under a head bolt. Look for a washer-looking chingaso under a head bolt with two wires coming out of it. I don't know if that engine has a hi-temp horn that the light could be wired into or not.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dewey

Seaman

i did not see any washers under any head bolts. thanks for the info though.

Dewey

Seaman

does anyone else have any ideas about where to mount the sender or the hot light. I would like to mount the sender around one of the top cylinders incase there is no water flow to them.

Dewey

Seaman

i have heard of mounting it on the surface of the cylinder head using a bracket but i was wondering if there is any other place to put the sender. still trying to figure out what wire to hook hot light up to. any suggestions are much appreciated.

Dewey

Seaman

i have called a few mechanics and it seems like none of them no any thing about this model or where the sensor should go. I told them about mounting the sensor to the surface of the cylinder head and they have never heard of doing that. I am not sure what i should do. I am pretty sure omc put this motor together with a 50 hp upper unit and a 75hp lower unit. the gale model number is 60DE-10B. If anyone has a clue for a spot for the sensor for the hot light or the temp sender, i would appreciate your input. Thanks.