Where to place my 12" subwoofer?

dhnmdst

Recruit
Hello boat fans :)
I want to install my 12 " subwoofer in my Askeladden 645 beetle speedboat.
The best place to install it in relation to getting the best sound will be in the engine cover.
My question is whether it would be a good idea to cut the hole. I refer to the noise level from the engine. There will be cut through sound attenuation.
Thank you in advance for answers.

Best regards Niels

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Where to place my 12" subwoofer?

When Im on the water, I like the quiet. Tie it to the anchor....lol

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help ^^^ I'm sure he appreciates it:cold:

I don't believe that would be an issue. All the sub should be doing is pumping out low freq's. I see a lot of boat with sub and speaker cut outs in the rear hatches. For some reason you do get noise, would you have room to possibly baffle it , or add a sheet of foam, like what is typical inside engine hatches?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Dog house is NOT a good location, it will sound like crap. Drivers need an enclosure that is matched to thier "needs". Many (particularly in autosound) are listed as free air - means they can operate without a box - doesn't mean they sound great doing it. Engine noise will be heard THROUGH the driver, it will not block it. You will have to play even louder to compensate.

How did you choose he 12" you have? Why did you choose it?

It never works better, choosing equipment, then trying to make it fit. You need to start with a location, then select drivers suited for it. You will be much happier with the sound quality. You will also be suprised that you could probably get away with much smaller drivers. A pair of quality 6" drivers in properly sized, tuned and placed enclosures can play cleaner, tighter AND louder than a random 12" just stuck in a hole somewhere(or even in a huge box thet is improperly designed).

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dog house is NOT a good location, it will sound like crap. Drivers need an enclosure that is matched to thier "needs". Many (particularly in autosound) are listed as free air - means they can operate without a box - doesn't mean they sound great doing it. Engine noise will be heard THROUGH the driver, it will not block it. You will have to play even louder to compensate.

How did you choose he 12" you have? Why did you choose it?

It never works better, choosing equipment, then trying to make it fit. You need to start with a location, then select drivers suited for it. You will be much happier with the sound quality. You will also be suprised that you could probably get away with much smaller drivers. A pair of quality 6" drivers in properly sized, tuned and placed enclosures can play cleaner, tighter AND louder than a random 12" just stuck in a hole somewhere(or even in a huge box thet is improperly designed).

I could not agree more. I my self went with a dual voice coil 10" in a tube located in my ski locker. Is sounds fantastic and you can feel the bass through out the entire boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Leave a 12" subwoofer at home. We used to feel the barometric pressure go up a minute before we could hear a subwoofer on a neighbor kid's car. The neighbors used to threaten to whip his *****, as he woke up the neighborhood weekends.

You don't have to have a subwoofer to have good sounds. And never cut a hole anywhere to put one. That's why they make subwoofer boxes, available at any electronics shop.

t4prizm96

Cadet

This is what I did with both of my 12s. They are under the bow seats. The storage up there was useless anyways. But they sound great.

1302386556502.jpg

1302386463372.jpg

1302386469508.jpg