Where to place a skimmer transducer?

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 19SS extreme,that has a through hull transducer. Quits working, no signal return, when I run 55MPH and higher. I know this is air under the boat. I purchased a new GPS/Fish Finder,and it has a skimmer transducer. I just would like to find out excatly where I should place it? My boat is stepped from keel to transom area. Have drain and inlets for live well at bottom near keel. This is a common thing on most newer boats. I don't want to put in inside because it has a temp sensor built in. So I would appericate any help!

Thank You David Crockett Sr.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where to place a skimmer transducer?

I have two shoot-thru hull transducers on my Ranger. FF in the bow has a temp sensor in the puck, Helm FF has a shoot-through hull puck and an external temp probe in the transom. They both read virtually the same. The water quickly cools or heats the hull to surface water temperature. If you?ve been happy with the shoot-thru and the temp sensor is the only reason you?re moving it to the transom, don?t bother, it?ll read the same. As far as I can see, the only thing could be a problem is if you were to mount the puck under a sterndrive engine, (my boat?s an outboard). Engine heat could heat the puck and give bad reading.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not moving it because of temp sensor. I have one through hull now. Doesn't work above 55 MPH, air under boat. It is mounted to far foward. I can't move it back, because of refill tubes and boat drain.
Thanks for reply.

David C Sr

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

If your boat's like mine

ry%3D320

Built in setback, multiple steps. I don't have any advice. I had a hard enough time getting one right on a relatively simple aluminum boat. I'd probably go to the edge of the first step above the setback on this boat, but I don't know how clean the water would be there. It gets up pretty high on the pad at speed. Tis the reason I have two shoot thrus on this boat.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, my boat has this three kinds of steps. One step back like yours,may be 6" to 8". Then another step back about a foot. I also have a 10" jack plate on it. Mine is a little deeper. First step is for livewells.Two screens cover pump in and two drains. Last step has boat plug drain,and two other lines in.
This is what I'm up against. The first transducer is mounted in front of pad when running. So No Signal !!!

Thanks For You Reply David C Sr.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some Pics:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/dcsbass/P1010001.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/dcsbass/P1010004.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/dcsbass/P1010005.jpg
On the last one (Pics 05 ) this hump is to the left of motor, and is even with bottom of hull. It looks like part of pad, or in line with pad. I hope you can make them out. I believe Stratos had this in their design, for a trasom mount transducer.
What do you Think ????
I've emailed Stratos and no email back yet.
Thanks for any input....
David C Sr.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Yea I see what you're talking about. Looks like it's made for a mounting location. I've heard of people glueing a transducer on temporarily to check operation by screwing the transducer to a small plastic or ABS panel and using silicone to temporarily attach the panel to the transom. (Pssst. You might check over at BB Central. Almost everyone over there has mounted a transducer or five.)

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is BB Central?
Thanks David C Sr.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank You I posted there too.
Thanks Again David C Sr.