Where to hook up muffs

dguess

Seaman Apprentice
I have just recently bought a inboard OMC 4.3, stern drive model 983487. I have ordered the Selco book but wanted to know a few things first.

1) How and where to hook muffs at on outdrive. I have not found a place to hook water hose.
2) The water/fuel separator has been bypassed they installed an electric fuel pump and bypassed this completly. Is there a way to hook it back up with the electric pump? will it be ok with out the water/fuel seperator? (It does have a fuel filter inline now)
3) the boat has set for a couple of years. Is there anything I should do before the summer time, other than change all fluids, belts, and hoses?

Thanks for any help this is a great place to find things out. I cant wait to get my book there are so many things I want to find out about and I am sure there will be more questions to come.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where to hook up muffs

1. On your drive above the propeller there is some openings on both sides of the drive. The muffs clamp around those.

2. You should be able to splice into the line past the pump to hook up the seperator.

3. You should also change your impeller, check engine aligment, check or change gimbal bearing and bellows.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The water intakes are on the lower drive on both sides in front of the prop.
You should see a plastic screen behind the water inlet holes..Clamp the muffs over that.

The Seloc will get you by for general stuff but the OMC factory service manual is the way to go. They are pricey but well worth it if you plan on doing most work yourself.

Those drives need pulled and the U-joints greased and the bellows and gimbal bearing inspected yearly.
I you don't know the service history the impeller in the upper drive should be replaced every couple years or so.

(IVAZ YOU TYPE FASTER)....lol!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that the electric fuel pump is not wired through the oil pressure switch and therefore has no safety cutoff so it will continue to run if the engine dies.

dguess

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip you are correct I plan on fixing that before we start useing the boat this summer. Any suggestions on the best way to do that???
Thanks for the quick replies, this has been a project boat replaced the floor,carpet all interior and wood. i did test drive the boat in the water and the motor and everything sounded great, the tilt and trim worked great. I just want to know for myself that all the fluids have been changed and are topped off with the correct fluids.
This is the first stern drive boat that I have owned, I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right.

Thanks,
Dan

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

One thing I might add to the previous posts is to make sure you change the lower unit oil. That oil can get pretty milky, and pretty nasty.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

What year is the boat or Outdrive? Water Inlets on Models 1977 and older are either on the bottom of the Water Intake or on the Starboard side of the drive near the top where the drive attaches to the intermediate. The attachment is covered with a brass cap and is called a flushing adaptor.

Bottom of water intake:

water-Inlet.jpg

Near top of drive Starboard side:

905e_1_b.jpg

OutDrive