Where to get a strong winch strap?

fishmaycraft

Cadet
I purchased a black nylon winch strap to replace the cable on my trailer for a 19 ft Maycraft, (~3000lbs). The first time I used it, the moon tide was VERY low and I had to winch the boat up a little further than usual. The strap is VERY stretched now. Where can I get a thicker strap that I won't have to worry about stretching? Is the stretching even a problem or am I worrying about nothing?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to get a strong winch strap?

All the straps I've seen are very generic, and all rated about the same. I was looking for a wider one, but could only find 2 inch wide. That probably why you had a cable on yours.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you head to walmart you can get a strap rated for 5,000 pounds for less than $20. They will stretch some, just keep an eye on them for wear and tear. It's a good idea to replace that cable. If it breaks you can have a dangerous situation with a cable flying who knows where.<br /><br />Dutch

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

had to replace the winch strap on trailer.went to auto parts store and baught a tow strap.took a bit of "remanufacturing" however no noticable stretch and works great.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there's a mechanical or industrial supplier near you check them. They will have about any length and strength strap you can imagine.<br />john

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boaters World has a nice 25' long Stainless cable lifetime warr. for about $25! I have had mine for 5 yers now and it is still great!! I don't even get splinters anymore!!

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a strong strap you may want to go to Grangers supply co. They carry lift straps up to 60,000.00 lbs each. Or any crain dealer. <br /><br />Thom