Where to buy a 3.0 OMC Sterndrive???

brewern

Cadet
I'm in the process of overhauling my 1980 Rinkerbuilt Runabout, and I'm starting to wonder if I should continue rebuilding my engine, or find a good used/rebuilt one. I've had a blast breaking down the engine, but now it's time to start spending the money. Since everything is off now, I could part it out and make some money back.
After looking at several posts, I've seen that people have found replacement engines for under $1000, and in some cases $500.

You can see my rebuild here:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...nkerbuilt-renovation-paint-powder-579407.html

The engine portion doesn't start until page 3 I think.

So, anyone know where I can find a replacement engine for about $1000 or less near KY? Just the boring/honing will be around $300, and the rebuild kit will be around $500-$600. Assuming I get everything right putting it back together, all is good. But if I screw something up.... well... I might as well have bought a motor in the first place.

Details:
1980 Rinkerbuilt
17' Runabout
Engine Model No: 252FTHRCRA
Serial No: J 789671

Thanks!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Where to buy a 3.0 OMC Sterndrive???

craigslist, auto trader, ebay

if you rebuild it, you know what you got.
For $500, you aren't likely to find anything that you can hear run and check compression, oil pressure etc. Probably cheaper to look for a boat missing an outdrive or something.

You must stay pre1990. so that limits the search a bit. A 2.5L is an option too, but you'll be losing 20HP going with a 2.5L

If you can make money parting it out, that's a no-brainer imo. Look for a Mercruiser powered boat with a Chevy V6 or V8 in it and Alpha One drive on the back.

brewern

Cadet

I fear though, that the model number may not be the correct one. In my researching I was asked to provide the serial number, which I could find on a plate above the starter. Well, the plate isn't there. Instead, it was on the valve cover, and looked almost taped on. Check the pictures below. Is there another way to tell if this is a 2.5 or 3.0 besides serial? Even the valve cover doesn't look original.

serial_2.jpgserial.jpg

brewern

Cadet

BTW, this is an inline 4 cylinder, GM, Chevy 140, etc. Are you saying I could switch that out with a V6 or V8? I have a hard time believing that would line up.

Bondo

Staff member

BTW, this is an inline 4 cylinder, GM, Chevy 140, etc. Are you saying I could switch that out with a V6 or V8? I have a hard time believing that would line up.

Nope,.... You need either the 2.5l I-4, or the 3.0l I-4.... Pre-1990....

The 3.0l is a 4" bore, the 2,5l is Smaller...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

3.0L has a dampener on the front of the crankshaft with the pulley, whereas the 2.5L has only a pulley.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Are you saying I could switch that out with a V6 or V8? I have a hard time believing that would line up.

If you can make money parting it out, that's a no-brainer imo. Look for a Mercruiser powered boat with a Chevy V6 or V8 in it and Alpha One drive on the back
I meant push your boat in the landfill and cover it with dirt, but I was trying to be more diplomatic :)
Turn those unsmoked cigs into something you can get parts for cheaply. (congrats on that, btw)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Brewern...I thought you had a Mercrusier set up?

Seen a OMC complete set up on Cincinnati Craigslist today!

brewern

Cadet

Nope,.... You need either the 2.5l I-4, or the 3.0l I-4.... Pre-1990....

The 3.0l is a 4" bore, the 2,5l is Smaller...

Then it's confirmed, this is definitely a 2.5. I need to check my paperwork, I know the original owner said it was a 3.0 140HP, and I'm pretty sure the paperwork confirmed that. It looks like the bore is almost 3.75", but definitely less than 4".

View attachment 185306

brewern

Cadet

I was under that impression too, but now I'm starting to wonder... what setup do I have? Can anyone ask questions that I can answer to confirm exactly what setup I have? Maybe I have a Frankenstein setup! I have a ton of pictures from beginning to my current circumstances.

The serial plate clearly states 'OMC Stern Drive', but I was under the impression this is a Mercruiser setup. Honestly I don't have the knowledge to know the difference.

Howard, here's a pic of the crankshaft, does this help?

DSCN9502.JPGDSCN9497.JPG

brewern

Cadet

Can you post the link, or IM it to me? See Checkmate, you should have been there the day I bought it like we talked about! :p

Thanks!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yea i know i feel bad that i could'nt make it...... we are talking about the same boat?

Show a pic of your outdrive....looking at the pics of the boat when you bought it looks like a Mercrusier or SEI drive.

Bondo

Staff member

The serial plate clearly states 'OMC Stern Drive', but I was under the impression this is a Mercruiser setup. Honestly I don't have the knowledge to know the difference.

Ayuh,.... I just looked in yer other thread,...

You've got a Mercruiser set-up that somebody stuffed a 2.5l OMC painted long block into....
It Does appear the Merc dressin's were swapped over though...
The only thing left that's OMC is that data tag...

If you'd like, I'll move this to the Mercruiser forum...
or, better yet, ya oughta let this thread Die, as there's now Alotta mis-information due to the misunderstanding...

brewern

Cadet

I'll just start a new thread with better misinformation. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Yep Checkmate, this is the same one. Here's the outdrive, SEI06:

I'll post a link to the new thread here once it's up. I have to run out for a bit right now.

DSCN7151_small.JPG