Where to add boat cleats?

Toxarch

Seaman
I did a search and didn't find anything. I have a 1992 19' Skeeter bass boat that I recently bought. It has no cleats to tie up to a dock. I picked up a cheap pair of 4" cleats to add to the boat and know I need a backing plate when installing them. But my question is, is there a basic rule of where they should be mounted?

I have seen one suggestion that the front cleat be mounted in front of the front glass, but I think that applies to ski boats or similar shaped boats. The driver's console on a bass boat is farther back in the boat.

So is there some standard about where to place the cleats? And yeah, pop-up cleats would be nice, but they're a bit expensive for my taste.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Where to add boat cleats?

go 1-2 feet back from the bow...and same from transom that way when she's properly tied off, she's firm to the dock.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bow, stern and one mid ship. this give you all you need for proper docking. midship is for a spring line. i use my mid ship cleat more than any other. i can reach it from helm seat. pull right up to dock, and secure the boat for loading and departing, with just one line.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when you install the bow and stern cleats as suggested, you will want 4--one for each corner, unless you have a pointed bow, in which case one central is fine. You'll want these also for towing or being towed. If you anchor in current, a bow cleat in the center is good unless you can easily reach your bow eye.
ditto to a mid ships
If you have a center bow cleat add blocks for the line as well.
Carry long enough lines--nothing is more aggravating than trying to help someone tie up his boat with too short lines. You don't need to carry four lines; usually a bow, stern and short spring is all you need, but that depends on your mooring.
Go walk around a marina to see how boats are rigged and moored.
Some say a bow line should be slightly shorter than the boat so if it falls over, it won't reach the prop. However I need more line due to the way I haev to cross tie between two finger piers on a 4' tide. I am as religious about "all lines entirely in the boat" when underway as I am about "plug in."

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

definitely do a midship cleat--when i got mine it had four corner cleats and when i tie off using bumpers--the middle of boat rubrail would hit and disengage--17 foot bowrider

Toxarch

Seaman

This will be a fresh water boat only so no tide, maybe a river level going up and down, but I doubt I tie up in that situation for long. 99% of the time the boat will be on a trailer when not being used.

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with putting the cleats too far forward (or in the front center) is that there is a trolling motor on the front of the boat and I don't think I have access under the gunwale that far forward.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Mine we're to far forward and prohibited pulling the boat around a dock.