where should rpms run

fierro

Cadet
where is a safe rpm to run at.my mariner 150 magnum runs 57 mph at 52 grand. are the rpms too high? should it not be run like that? thanks for your time

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: where should rpms run

Originally posted by laddiesservice:<br /> 5000 to 5500 rpm
This is correct, but I run mine between 5500-6000. I dont run it there all the time though. It does sound like it likes it better proped around 5400 . I think it likes the extra load of the higher pitched prop.

Laddies

Banned

Most of us that are interested in preformance, are guilty of that LubeDude---Bob :D :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Not just a performance issue Bob. Also a fuel consumption issue and a motor longevity and reliability issue. <br /><br />Best to prop the engine so it is as close as possible to the maximum recommended, so if it's speced at 5000 to 5500, then I'd be setting it up to run as close as possible to 5500. Lubedude will have great hole shot and is 'light loading' his engine so his reliability will be great, the engine's working a little less. But he may be using a tad more fuel, maybe not. Difficult to say without doing the proper tests. <br /><br />Personally, I think 5200 for an engine specced at 5000 to 5500 is too low. Go the next pitch up. It could run you to 5600, but that's good, as long as you're not at full noise all day. (unlike me :D )<br /><br />Chris......

Laddies

Banned

Cris I think you mispoke when you said up in pitch? Bob thats one of my tricks when I am typing :confused: :p :D

achris

oops! good catch Bob. <br /><br />Fierro,<br /><br />Ignore that idiot achris and go DOWN in pitch....<br /><br />Chris..........

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> as long as you're not at full noise all day. (unlike me :D )<br /><br />Chris......
"Full Noise" I like that. :D :D :D <br /><br />Yes, with the combination of the HighFive Prop, the lower pitch, and the smart tabs, I litteraly do not have a "Hole" shot. My boat just launches like a rocket. I think I could win a drag race with any boat on the lake.

achris

My boat just launches like a rocket.
Where do I strap in? :D :D :p :cool: <br /><br />Chris.........