Where is the best place to start?

valencehsift

Seaman
Where is the best place to start trouble shooting my starting problem? 1989 Force 150. Runs good when it gets going, but gettting it going is a son of a @#$%^.

Also, where is the best place to start for charging problems?

I feel there is a lot of work ahead of me.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where is the best place to start?

First! --Are you pushing in the center button on the throttle lever and advancing the throttle to fast idle when cold starting? A lot of Force engines just won't start if you don't do this. Some controllers don't have a center button but need to have the handle pulled out about 1/8 inch to allow the throttle to be advanced to fast idle position
Second! -- Have you checked the choke or enrichment valve (if it has one)?
You need to push in the key while turning to start position to choke the engine. If chokes, you will hear an audible ckick as the choke butterflies close.

First thing to check for charging is the rectifier. It is the black square mounted up near the starter with 5 wires attached to 4 terminals.Two wires come from the alternator to the A/C terminals. The purple wire attaches to one A/C terminal. This is Tach signal. One black wire connects to negative terminal and red connects to positive.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh, yeah! You are squeezing the black primer bulb in the fuel line to fill the carb bowls the first start, aren't you?

valencehsift

Seaman

Yes, I pull the throttle out a bit then all the way forward, but I am not sure if I hear a clicking noise of it engaging. I will check this out. Yes I do prime with the primer bulb which I just replaced, first few times out it ran great when started, now, it won't idle, harder to start, only runs good WOT. I will check the choke or enrichment valve in the manual and see how to adjust it properly.
I will also check the recitifier, thanx for getting me started.

RRitt

Captain

one of my engines decided one spring to become beligerant about starting. It was so bad that I had to start the other engine first for fear of killing both batteries.

rrrmmm - rrmmmm - rrmmmm - rrrmmmm - rrrmmmm - pffff,
after about 10 minutes it would finally catch.

Obviously, it was not acceptable unless I wanted to develop a habit of buying new starters. I took off the carbs and gave them a thorough cleaning with acetone and pipe cleaners. I didn't even use a rebuld kit - just a thorough cleaning of jets and passageways. cleaned fuel screen and put in new fuel pump diaphram while I was at it.

fixed it right up ... back to normal
rrrmmm - rrmmmm - pffff,
rrr-ummm (sound of running motor)

valencehsift

Seaman

Another quick question. I dont notice anything changing on the carbs when I pull out the throttle and advance it to the fast idle position. Is there something that should be a noticable change with the carbs when setting to fast idle for start?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't move very far. The timing will advance a couple of degrees and the carbs will just about crack open. But under no load condition, that's enough to give about 1500 RPM.

BTW did you check the plugs? Those surface gap plugs are very cold and prone to foul. With the type ignition you have, best spark is at high speed. Poorest spark is at cranking speed and idle. Typically, when I see people on the river with a Force that won't start, I hand them a set of cleaned plugs and they fire right up.