Where is my idle adjustment J115TLET 90 CV-4

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice
I am doing some work on my motor(another thread) I backed boat in water and it is idling too fast and I am scared to mess with what I am looking at. I did the link sys thing using the Seloc book.I am double dog sure butterflies are closin all the way. But it has 6 or 7 pictures of linkage in book and none look like what I have, Is what I am supposed to be turning for idle adjustmant connect under the starboard side of flywheel and have a thumbscrew with a locknut and there is a slot screw right under that . This looks like it has to do with the timing. I don't have an idea what to do here.:eek:

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Where is my idle adjustment J115TLET 90 CV-4

That is my linkage. None I saw in Seloc book resembled that exploded drawing. I have adjusted the cable by, putting in neutral with the fast idle off and moving the nylon adjustable end where it goes over the pin on #82 in the drawing without disturbing position of arm. I see my problem. The spring and nut are missing #73 & #74 are missing off of screw # 75. I was looking at that screw and couln't figure out what it was doing as it wasn't making contact with anything. Somebody before me has been wrenching on this thing. Will a generic compression spring and nut work O.K. here? While I am at it can I put a timing light on this motor or is it like the Seloc book says, I need a engine analyzer to check. Sounds to me like lawyer talk. If you look in Seloc book index and look for firing order or idle adjustment you get nothing. You have helped me greatly Daviet. Thanks! JB'S WOT timing thingy doesn't sound like it applies on this motor.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should be able to use a standard nut and spring that will fit properly over the screw. I would probably try to find them in stainless steel.
I think you have discovered why so many people suggest the factory manual, may cost a little more, but worth the money.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

You should be able to use a standard nut and spring that will fit properly over the screw. I would probably try to find them in stainless steel.
I think you have discovered why so many people suggest the factory manual, may cost a little more, but worth the money.

I ordered a nut and a spring just to make sure there is no problems then upon unscrewing the screw I found the nut was under the screw and there was only about 1/4" between screw head and the nut. The screw doesn't touch the stop. Something ain't right here. The arm that comes out from under the flywheel just floats free. If I put a spring between the nut and the screw. That is supposed to put tension on screw so it won't vibrate, but that will not make the screw hit the stop unless the spring is on the stop, with the screw in the middle then the nut then the arm #76. I'm in the woods here lost.
Screw is 1/4-20x2 1/2 thread length. Is it maybe the guy wrenching on this thing before me used a screw that was too short. The parts list only say it is a idle adjustment screw. Does'nt give a further description.

Last edited:

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

Anybody care to offer any reason idle screw would'nt touch stop?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Will it touch the stop if you disconnect the cable?

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

Will it touch the stop if you disconnect the cable?

Cable is connected and have done link sync and if you move throttle cable it will immediately start to open butterflies. Sorry I didn't answer your question. Don't know will find out.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

OK, but if you disconnect the throttle cable will the linkage let the idle screw contact the stop, could the cable be out of adjustment?

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

OK, but if you disconnect the throttle cable will the linkage let the idle screw contact the stop, could the cable be out of adjustment?

You are on it, I disconnected the cable and thar she be! I think it is my link sync job. The follower wasn't at the bottom of the slot in the cam. I must have had the cable on with it in the wrong knothole. That cable has several places you can place it in the trough and I missed it. Going by your link above the follower #84 should be at the bottom of travel in throttle arm #82. If that is correct that is where I made my mistake.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem.
You should do the link & sync with the cable disconnected and then adjust the cabe to fit the linkage.