Where is a good spot to locate an amplifier?

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

Among the other winter projects going on with my Glastron 175, i have an old 4 channel Alpine amplifier that i was thinking of installing in her. Mostly because even and slow(ish) cruising speeds around 25mph i have to have the radio cranked just to hear it.

Anyway - my question is, where is a good spot to locate the amp where it will stay dry?? I was thinking about the engine bay, but am not keen on that idea as they sometimes get a bit of an oily film in there from the 3.0l inboard.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where is a good spot to locate an amplifier?

High under the helm. If it gets wet up there you have more than the amp to worry about. The engine bay gets hot. Electronics don't like that. There is also a good chance that should a coolant or oil leak develop the amp would get a bath. The boat may also stay dry normally. But things leak -- like the cover, forgotten garboard plugs, downpours can put lots of water in the bilge. Water and amps don't mix.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I agree high under the helm or under the passenger side. in my searay, I mounted it under the passenger dash, just behind the glove box where the radio was. my RCA leads were 1' long, and I didnt have to extend the amp pilot line (blue wire)

i also agree, that if it gets wet there, the amp is the least of your worries.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright - thanks for the tips. I'll see if i can find a suitable location on the passenger side. My radio is mouted on the driver's side, but i don't think it would be a problem to run the wires accross (blue trigger and RCA)

foodfisher

Captain

Fucawi appears to have left the building.

Sorry to hear that. He did/does have a knack for garnering the wrath. Appologies to the OP for the sidetrack

Last edited: