Where Do You Store Your Boat in the Winter?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were do you put your boat to rest when it comes time for winter?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where Do You Store Your Boat in the Winter?

Believe it or not I plan on using the results of the poll to help determin if I should open a heated indoor storage facility up here in Maine.<br /><br />So please vote once and vote honestly<br /><br />ROCK ON<br />kid

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Heated?<br />Thats gonna cost a pretty penny.

18rabbit

Captain

I don't know if this will help you but I store them:<br /><br />boat 1- in the water (marina)<br />boat 2- in the driveway (trailered)<br />boat 3- in the livingroom (inflatable dinghy-I sit in it to watch TV).

ZmOz

Captain

Out beside my house, in the rain. :rolleyes:

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats kinda why i am seeing if there would be an interest in a heated storage place...<br /><br />i live in maine, it gets damn cold in the winter :D and i notice a lot of people getting damage due to freeze... the average indoor storage around my area seems to be around $600-$700 for winter storage, in an unheated building...<br /><br />if you had the option to store in a heated, say 50-55 degrees, to prevent any possible freeze damage would you pay an extra $300-400 for the storage?<br /><br />am I crazy for thinking people would pay the extra? :eek:

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

shelter at home, and winterized. <br /> keeping it dry is most important and winterized. paying for heated storage would not deter me from a winterization. the best intentions of the vendor of the storage can go awry. equipment failure,fuel availability, and capacity to heat a facility thoughly enough to warm the engine compartments in a variety of boats would be impratical.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by captkid:<br />
thats kinda why i am seeing if there would be an interest in a heated storage place...<br /><br />i live in maine, it gets damn cold in the winter :D and i notice a lot of people getting damage due to freeze... the average indoor storage around my area seems to be around $600-$700 for winter storage, in an unheated building...<br /><br />if you had the option to store in a heated, say 50-55 degrees, to prevent any possible freeze damage would you pay an extra $300-400 for the storage?<br /><br />am I crazy for thinking people would pay the extra? :eek:
$6-700 a YEAR? $3-400 MORE for heat? For $700 you can get a pretty nice metal carport. Or a couple years worth you could build yourself an entire freakin' garage... :eek:

dwci97

Seaman

I built an indoor boat storage facility and have no trouble finding people to keep their boats inside all winter. I dont charge the amount you do (700-800) for 6 months, I charge about half that. Build the facility and you will fill it with boats in the winter. My building is not heated on the inside. I built a 5000 sq ft building and can store 20-24 boats in there without to much trouble and every renter has a key so they can work on there boats when they want to.

sloopy

Commander

boatyard uncovered

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

CaptKid...it's a good idea but the heat would be very expensive as you know. Do your homework and figger out exactly what you will have to charge for your service...do a business plan.<br /> One way to do local research...place an ad taking deposits for the limited space you will have. If you get enough folks fighting for the space then go ferit...just a Thought :cool:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you are gonna provide heat, then you are gonna need some good insurance to pay off in case the heat goes out and damage is incurred. And what of the guy that just files a claim against you for damage, even if the heat did not go out, you need the insurance.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Build the facility and you will fill it with boats in the winter.
dwci97 that is my thought/hope :D <br /><br />
it's a good idea but the heat would be very expensive as you know. Do your homework and figger out exactly what you will have to charge for your service...do a business plan.<br />One way to do local research...place an ad taking deposits for the limited space you will have. If you get enough folks fighting for the space then go ferit...just a Thought
Chief 101, you have a great ideam about placing an ad, my only worry would be I dont have a facility to put the boats in yet, and what if they want to come check it out? I know i would :) <br /><br />Just afraid people may think i am a scam or something :eek: <br /><br />
you are gonna need some good insurance
this is VERY true... maybe dwci97 can help me out with this one since he has a facility where he stores boats<br /><br />I want to thank you all for your honest (some of you may think I am CRAZY, and I plead the 5th) ;) answers. <br /><br />my vision is to have a really nice facility for people to place their boats, and be able to work on them if they would like. I would like to have the cleanest, most well kept, boat storage in Maine.<br /><br />kid

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seems like most keep their boats at home :) <br /><br />not a good sign :p

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

CaptKid... If you write up a business plan, which includes all expenditures and incomes, and find this undertaking to be a profitable one on paper, you can take it to your local small business bureau and or banker and get some viable input.<br />Without all the numbers we can only make take wild guesses. <br /> What are you gonna do with this facility in the 2 months you have for summer there? There are 150 questions to be answered before you can determine viability or not...just a Thought<br /> :)

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Under my newly built carport beside the house ,with loft providing space for towables skis etc etc.<br />Keeps the sun off & most of the direct snow/ice or rain.Just got to finish the floor & maybe enclose the sides.<br />Local marina was going to charge by the foot and was around $6-700 per annum for a 21ft if i remember correct.This also included them launching the boat with a prior call 30 mins notice.<br />Think that they fork lifted at this facility and would assume they stow when voyage complete.<br />They would charge $400 to winterize a 5.7L for a customers boat.<br />hth

dwci97

Seaman

I just have insurance on my building. The boat owners need to carry insurance on their boats that they store. Renters insurance will cover this and it is very cheap. Build your building with concrete on the floor and you will be real happy with the results. I have never advertised for boat storage. The word spreads like wildfire once people know of a place to keep their boat for the winter. You dont need to heat the space. The boats have to be winterized whether the space is heated or not. The inside of a building really doesnt get that cold anyway.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> CaptKid... If you write up a business plan ... you can take it to your local small business bureau and or banker and get some viable input.
I forget the name of the program but I think it is called SCORE, administered through the SBA. Retired business people will help you complete a viable business plan and apply for SBA funding, if you want it. And if you are a woman or a minority you might even get the funding. Not so for white males unless there is an excess on funds after the 70-days cycle, and there seldom is. Note: it’s not actually fund but a government guarantee to repay your bank loan if you don’t, so banks throw money at people with SBA guarantees.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine is parked right in front of the house, in fact our 50' shore power cord reaches nicely from the house to the boat. I do not cover our boat and never have (we've had this boat for 13 years now). I do take down the canvas top because if I didn't it would not survive the winter. We get a total of probably 4~8 feet of snow every winter, but almost never more than 2 feet at a time. I get a lot of ice build up in the cockpit, sometimes as much as a foot thick, but it finally melts. Also, I have 1 large (rougly 4'x4') fish box in the floor, one fairly large fish box in the transom (roughly 150 quart cooler sized) and two smaller ones (maybe 2' square and 2' deep that can double as either storage or live wells and they all fill up with water and freeze up too. Sooner or late they melt too. I do disconnect the hoses to the show drain box all of the fish boxes drain to and just let them dump out in the bilge during the winter. Here's what the area where the snow piles up looks like:<br /><br />
cockpit.jpg

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

next to house under a $50 cover with a $10 pvc built frame under to deflect rain and snow best $60 i invested!!!!!<br /> <br /> *** 1971 18' winner 1969 115 jonny ***