Where do you store and charge your battery?

RickVS

Cadet
I'm looking at a new battery and charger, and the ideal environment for storage is out of temperature extremes (garage) and instead where it is cool (basement). However, it is also recommended to trickle charge during storage to I think 50% capacity. This creates dangerous gases (not good in basement or garage). So where do you all keep your batteries in between boat trips (other than in the 95 degree sun) and where do you trickle charge them?

Also, I am looking at getting a 55# MK trolling motor. Any thoughts on the best batteries? I looked at an Optima blue top and there isn't a carry handle, and the Rolls site says it is 90 lbs wet! Since I carry the battery around that isn't ideal. Thanks!

QUAKEnSHAKE

Recruit
Re: Where do you store and charge your battery?

I use 2 chargers.

I store mine in my basement and have it on a battery maintainer. The maintainer monitors the charge and will charge (1.5amps) then stop charge as needed in between runs. After a "run" I use a 10 amp charger til the amp draw is down to 2amps then switch to the maintainer.

On what battery I went with a group24 size 95a/h 45lbs due do my back no way could I carry a 90lb battery. Bought it at place called Farm&Fleet its just basic nothing special. Im only on small lakes (300,200,40 acres) fishing so 95 amps last me.

You want batteries store at FULL charge not 50%

RickVS

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I thought charging a battery releases gases that could explode. Is this not like your battery given that you trickle charge it in the basement? Also, what # trolling motor do you use? I'm thinking of bumping up from 36# to 55# and I don't know how long a 95a/h battery would last me. Lastly, what is a group24 size? Thanks.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

My batts are mounted in boxes and bolted down in the boat, I also charge them there as well. I made a charging port for them so all I have to do is plug in the smart charger and let it run. Darn batts are too heavy to be lugging all over the place:)

red

k-rok

Cadet

batteries do give off hydrogen gas while charging, it is VERY explosive. at a trickle charge it's not as bad but i would never store it in the basement if there was any kind of spark nearby (furnace, water heater, etc).
while in motor vehicle repair a guy next door in heavy duty repair (diesel) unhooked a battery from a charger without turning the charger off first, the resulting spark caused an explosion, you could hear it in over half the school.
you can store a battery at any temperature as long as the charge is maintained (trickle charger), the garage is fine. you must also keep it off the floor if it's concrete, a couple of 2 inch pieces of wood works fine. the concrete tends to hold the cold and cool the bottom of the battery faster.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I charge my battery in my boat, but I also live in California. Today the Ctek chargers are tops, and that is what I use. Of course I also have an AGM battery so it takes an AGM compatible charger. They are good for all types of batteries though.

Redeyejedi

Cadet

get a float charger to maintain the battery. leave in a location that gets ventilation.
battery tender, battery minder comes to mind off hand, have both, work well.
don't get a rapid charger, and avoid the super trickle chargers