Where do you buy your parts? (Canada specific)

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to find a well known, competitively priced parts place to buy my mercruiser parts. Do not have to be OEM. Aftermarket good, too. $280 for an aftermarket starter seems high, but im going to suck it up and pay it since the season is almost over and i'm tired of hunting.

So guys, where do you get your parts? in CANADA..

Thanks!
Mike

happycamper

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Where do you buy your parts? (Canada specific)

I buy mine from marinepartsexpress.com, which is in Maine. I live in the US, but they claim to ship worldwide.

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

I buy darn near everything from the US. With the dollar being pretty much par it is even better now.
Here is a site for sierra replacement starters $125-$175 depending on what.
It can usually be shipped faster from the US unless you can convince the vendor to sent it Greyhound.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

http://www.marinemanifold.com/partspages/Merc/merc1.htm

They are based out of BC. and carry a full line of parts.

The problem with ordering in the States and them shipping here is that we are then subject to duties and customs / brokering charges. If you are going to order from the States ask them to ship through USPS and not UPS or Fedex because the brokerage charges are high. Unless it is overnighted and then they will not charge the brokerage fees but overnighting a part is huge money.

Bill

Robj

Lieutenant

I buy most of my marine specific parts from www.marinemanifold.com. They are in Langley, B.C. Sometimes I go and pick them up and other times they will ship it and in most cases I have it the next day. There prices are real good, and as mentioned earlier no border hassles. Where abouts do you live in Canada? I would still try taking my starter to a starter shop for them to rebuild, if there is one nearby. It will be cheaper. You can always call Western Starter in Richmond, they would also have what you are looking for. Just make sure you specify marine.

Have a great day,

Rob.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, that is the reason I don't generally order from the US is because of the duties and every taxes. I will use marinemanifold.com and see how their prices are. I live in Ontario, so I try to order locally when I can to avoid high shipping costs and shipping mishaps.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We live near a border crossing so it's easy to get stuff shipped to the local UPS store. Quite often we don't get hauled in for taxes. As long as they're small parts <$100 they often wave us through. Even then you gotta pay the taxes anyways if you buy in Canada. With the dollar at par now I'm picking up lots for our trawler project.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I think I'm ordering my starter from a marina for $280.00, but he said there are 2 different ones. I gave him my Serial # and he doesn't know which one it is, and I don't either. What gives?

What a nightmare.

whywhyzed

Banned

I'd be tempted to buy a hi-torque mini starter off eBay for $75

e7a4_2.JPG

word on the street is, they're sealed and explosion proof and therefore safe for marine.