Where do you buy your outboard parts?

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soon I will need to purchase a clutch dog and forward gear for my '73 Evinrude 25 hp Sportster. Being unfamiliar with outboard parts suppliers, I don't know if I need or have to buy my parts from an Evinrude dealer, or does the aftermarket supply same-quality parts.

I guess my first question is does an aftermarket even exist for outboard parts?

If so, what is the quality?

Should I just head to my nearest dealer and have him order the parts?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Where do you buy your outboard parts?

There are no aftermarket clutch dogs or gears. Go to your dealer and order them up. There are also online sources for the oem parts, like www.ishopmarine.com, and direct from Bomardier at http://shop2.evinrude.com/

You may save a buck or two online. Still...you'll be unpleasantly surprised at the prices of gearcase internals.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great link.

Would it be wise to buy a used clutch dog and forward gear? I wonder what kind of life expectancy could be obtained by such parts. I'll have to give them a call.

And yes, I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost of these parts new!

CATransplant

Admiral

I thought you would be. It's really easy to exceed the value of an older outboard when you get into the lower unit.

If you go with tcoutboard.com, they will inspect the parts and won't sell them if they won't work. They have a great reputation around here. Of course, I can just go down there (about an hour) and see for myself, but they're very good.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is why i recommended them. it is best to replace the complete set, forward, reverse, and dog.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good. I'll call them first thing in the morning.