Where do I ground the ground wire?

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I have installed car stereo an always just screw a nail in and attach the ground under it. Well I have ha problems with installing a cd pkayer in my boat and believes it is the ground. I've seen multiple postings and it says something about grounding to a common ground please explain because I have no idea where or what that is. Also, I attached the red and yellow wire on the new cd pkayer to the old red wire which I believe is te right way, but there is an old yellow wore now too.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Where do I ground the ground wire?

you need to find a ground wire which is a wire that goes back to the battery negative post, sometimes there is a ground buss near the fuse block on a boat but you will need to find if there is on your application, otherwise the best idea is to just run the appropriate sized wire from the cd player to the battery negative terminal

Your gonna get a butt chewing for multiple posts on the same subject as well

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I want to see a picture of this "ground" you created.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I need to splice the ground wire running back to the battery terminal with the ground on the new cd player together?

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

That may explain the problem. When the cd player was working I had the ground shoved into the old groud because the new has like the claw attached at the end so I just oohed it in. Well it worked like that but must have lost the connection.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

it would be best to use a digital volt ohm meter to confirm the integrity of any wire going back to the battery, the integrity of your ground system will have an effect on many other systems in the boat should it be of poor quality. If you run your own ground back to the battery make sure it is of the same size wire coming out of the radio, if you need multiple grounds going back to the battery, say if you installed an amp or a VHF radio or something like that you can simply install a small buss bar or connect the multiple grounds to the ground wire that goes back to the battery but if you add more grounds you must also increase the size of the wire going back to the battery since it is now taking more load, there are ways of determining the proper size wire needed that we can talk to you about but you should have all the information to answer your question.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Redundent thread...

utbasketballloft,... There's No need for several threads about the Same project...
All it does is cause Confusion...

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here hope this helps.

Attachments

• 12v System.jpg
    12v System.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0