Where do I find my serial number???

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Merc classic 50 4 cyl 2 stroke made in the 80's. I can't find my serial number, there is not one on the bracket.<br /> Above the fuel pump there a about 4 numbers stamped on the head,but are hard to make out as they are not stamped deep enough.<br /> I believe there can be numbers on the whelsh plugs, in the casting holes on the head, but where do I find them. Are they hidden behind something else bolted over the top of them.<br /> HELP PLEASE.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where do I find my serial number???

Should be on the crankcase in the area between the carbs. If you can't find anything it's possible you've got an ex military motor. That's what mine is and it doesn't even have the castings for the plugs.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nos4r2, <br />Ex Military???<br />Between the carbs? is that looking straight from the carby throat end of the block?<br />I was worried it was a stolen motor and the serial was filed off!.<br />I am trying to find it so I can register my boat and motor

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Yes-over to one side if you look directly through between the carb throats. My motor definitely isn't stolen-I thought that too to start with but then came across someone else with the same problem and his was ex-military. The disc that the serial no. is stamped on sits in an indent in the casting. Mine doesn't even have the indent-it's got ribs cast over where the indent should be.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Nos4r2,<br />I'll check it again on the week end.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found some numbers stamped into the block just under the flywheel area just above the fuel pump.<br />The paint had been scratch away to reveal these numbers.<br /> Only problem is the the stamping is not deep enough to make them out.<br />The numbers have a gap after what appears to be the 1st number. And there is only a total of 4 of them, after these numbers there is a space and a undistiguishable symbol like a 1 or something.<br />Underneath theses numbers there is a space and a distinctive letter A is visible

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PS. I found some stamping ontop of the carbareta, it has a stamp 10/86 on it.<br /> So I resumes that is the manufacture datre of the carby and my outboard must be a late 1986 or early 1987?