Where did this pull apart?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Where did this pull apart?

I doubt it is a bolt that needs to be tightened :( I image that you will have to add a new bolt or two......the old bolts may be pulling through the decking.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Looks like the seat sits on a frame to which it's still bolted, but the frame has come loose from the hull. Get that carpet and seat off and have a better look.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, additional bolts ain't gonna get it. You have glass separation. You need to reglass on the back side...which is probably impossible without cutting an access pie...

evilnss

Seaman

Well I pull the seat out which was a PIA!

I was thinking about not even putting it back in!, I don't sit in it. and I prefer to stand 100% of the time. Plus the seat sets so low, i feel like I couldn't see anything from it. and when we are anchored off we just go swimming, and other than they we tube a bit. and even then I like to be able to stand up and be able to jump to the back if needed. Plus my back gives me problems from time to time and standing up with my hips facing port and my body facing the front of the boat aggravates my back like crazy.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af209/jjdjradio/774bf66d.jpg

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af209/jjdjradio/983b5385.jpg

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af209/jjdjradio/e194e438.jpg

Anything rule wise saying I can't stand up and drive?

Last edited by a moderator:

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Build you a leaning post.

evilnss

Seaman

Anyone? What are those 2 inner bolt holes for? There was no screw in them. that outer 4 holes were what was holding the seat in.

John

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Anyone? What are those 2 inner bolt holes for? There was no screw in them. that outer 4 holes were what was holding the seat in.

John

A different style of seat????
Are you going to try and glass the upper piece back on???

evilnss

Seaman

A different style of seat????
Are you going to try and glass the upper piece back on???

excuse the newb question, what does that mean to glass the upper piece back on? Fiberglass?

I was thinking about getting a piece of metal bent and make a bracket to add support to the front. and then put a screw/bolt through the bracket to help support it.

Ideas?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

"Glassing" means exactly that, fiberglassing it back in place. Clean install, with no bolt heads or nuts showing. BTW, that's how your livewell tub or storage tubs are attached to the underside of the deck...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

excuse the newb question, what does that mean to glass the upper piece back on? Fiberglass?

I was thinking about getting a piece of metal bent and make a bracket to add support to the front. and then put a screw/bolt through the bracket to help support it.

Ideas?

Yes to the fiberglass.
If your not to picky, I bet you could just put the top back on and screw it down????

evilnss

Seaman

Ok more newb questions.

Just so i understand, this platform is basically fiberglassed to the floor?

So a body shop or hell just a fiberglass kit from the autostore should be enough to reglass the floor right there right?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I am not the re+re glassing expert (try the restoration section for great advise)
That being said, I would clean /ruff up both sides, apply the resin plop the top on, put lots of weight on the top and if possible put stainless screws around the bottom, remember the sealent (3m 5200)on the screws threads.
(but since the resin let go the first time, I wonder if a two part appoxy would work better????)