Where did my boat come from!?!?!

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all. I cant say Im new to boating, as Ive been in it for 15 years now. But this is my first boat. Its an '85 Tara 170 BR. Where did this boat come from?? I did a google search on the Brand name, and other than one add for a very comparable boat, Everything was about big 30-40 foot yahts. Nothing about my lil 17 footer.

Does anyone know where these come from?? Is there a parent company??

Thx,
Jon.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Where did my boat come from!?!?!

Sad but true, alot of companies are gone. It would almost be interesting to know the ratio of companies started to companies out of business.

I own a Fisher (an original one) that is constructed from all aluminum including the decks. That company is now owned by Tracker. The boats they produce are similar but they use cheap (maybe the cheapest) plywood for the decking.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Did you see if Tara is listed with the online NADA... it will tell you when they went under or still in production..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

There was a Terra boat company...not Tara??

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Geez, sorry it took so long to get back, I couldnt find my own thread. Nope, not on NADA.

The Letters Are MTM, ???

Thatd be cool if it were out of boise, Im only a few hours away. But alas, theyre outta bidness, so that wouldnt really be cool after.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There we go: "Mark Twain Marine" out of illinois. Thanx for the link. Theye Outtabid too, but at least I have a start in this info hunt.

Thanx Roscoe, and everyone.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, it just so happens that I spent a month trying to research Mark Twain boats proir to buying my 1985 Mark Twain 190BR (19' Bowrider). I love the boat, btw. BIG for a 19 footer (interior) and solid.

Here's a link to a forum for MT boat owners. It's not ver active though.

http://www.marktwainboats.org

They were considered a quality boat maker in the 70s and 80s. Probably not a top of the line, but upper-middle from what I've read. It seems they stopped making boats some time in the early '90s. Their main plant was then used by Chaperral from what I gather, but i don't know if they bought MTM or just took over the vacant building.

Not sure where the "Tara" comes from. Mine says "Mark Twain" on it, but also "Sonic". Most people figure this is the same "Sonic" as the current "Sonic" boat maker, but it is actually just the hull design MTM called V-Sonic.

Good luck with the MT!

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah, I ran onto that site, and saw the same conclusions. The Tara branch IS somewhat of mystery. But, since Ive got the boat, Ive noticed 4 or 5 of the same brand boats (all about the same size, style, etc) in my lil area.

I totally agree tmh, This boat has been very stout, and very strong. With the exception of a few soft spots in the floor, and wiring gremlins, This boat has been awesome.