where can I get lobster in Miami or keys?

can anyone suggest any shallow water dive sites (spots) in the keys or in Miami for lobster. I only have snorkle gear. ANy suggestions would be appreciated

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: where can I get lobster in Miami or keys?

I have had great success off of Little Torch Key with only snorkel gear. I prefer to dive with tanks, but the snorkeling certainly makes it more challenging. All around Little Torch there are shallow-water ledges; what we've done is have someone trolling along while the snorkeler is hanging on behind, when you find a hot-spot, stop and let the fun begin!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just curious. Do Florida lobsters taste like Maine lobsters?

Any idea why one has those whopping big pinchers and the other none?

Mark

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

IMO, there's a big difference in taste between cold and warm water lobsters. I often see a big price difference between them as well. Could also have to do with their growth rates. I suspect a warm water lobster will grow faster.

The prey species probably has alot to do with claw size. Also, juveniles usually have smaller, uniform claws. They develop differently as the animal matures. Have you ever noticed that an adult lobster has two different sized claws? One for crushing and one for cutting...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

basically imho, Florida lobster are salt water craw fish. and Studly, seconded my recommendation i sent in the email about Little Torch Key.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. Yes I noticed the difference in claws but had no idea as to the reason.

I went to New England on a business trip once (many times Ha!). On the way to the airport (coming home) I went by a lobster house and got a box of live lobsters.

That night the family played with them in the sink while dad got the pot ready. Were delicious.

Mark