Where are the crappie?

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone out there know where the best crappie fishing spots in north Texas are? I am new to them but want to add them to my selection of sought after fish. I've got the bass, cats, sandies down but I guess I am looking for a new challenge. I hear Ray Roberts is good but if there is a lake closer I want to try it before trailoring so far. Does anyone know anything about where to go on Grapevine, Eagle Mountain, or any other? Plus who lives around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so we can meet up and try em up?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Where are the crappie?

if u gonna start from scratch, maybe a good idea<br />to find a guide to show you the ropes. cheaper<br />than buyin junk that don't work and wasting gas<br />looking prob.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto MY <br /><br />Have done it a few times on a few bodies of water.<br /><br />A good tactic in doing this is splitting a whole day with 3 other fishing buddies.<br /><br />2 of you go out with the guide in the morning while the other two go out and search around on their own. <br /><br />Then swap boats at noon and when the day is done everyone kicks back and compares notes, patterns, baits and tactics that they learned.<br /><br />It seems in doing this - having three other guys share the time and expense of a full day is beneficial. Each person might pick-up on something or ask the guide a question you might have missed, forget to ask or just didn't think of.<br /><br />As they say, worth every penny.<br /><br />good advice MY!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Secret spot. If you tell I will have to do something bad to you.<br /><br />Lake Mineral Wells State Park just east of Miserable Wells off US 180.<br /><br />The Ranger at the launch ramp can guide you to the sweet spots.<br /><br />Good luck. :)